Sunday, January 11, 2015

Cycling in January and stats for 2014

Greetings from Portland Oregon!
I have been in Portland for the past few days attending a conference. Portland is a mecca for cycling, which for me is wonderful. I rented a lovely Linus city bike for the week. Light and sturdy. My first ride was at twilight for just 6 miles.
My hotel is close to the river bike trail system. I rode over 50 miles already and plan to do another 10 tomorrow before I leave.


The sun came out a little bit every day, which was wonderful. Most of the time I rode in the morning as the day was breaking. Riding in the early morning gave me a flavor of the hundreds of commuters in this area. Every morning there were streams of them coming into the city. I know some very hardy folks bike commute through the winter in Minnesota, but I do not think I could ever do that. But, here, yes. Temperatures were about 35-40 over night and about 38-45 during the day. Quite pleasant. Getting in 60 miles of outdoor cycling made this trip really great for me.

Here are my cycling stats from last year:


2570 miles cycled is round trip from LA to Seattle. That is pretty amazing! I am off to a good start with my Portland miles. I know once I am back home in Minneapolis I will be riding my bike inside on a trainer.

Have a good week!
Michele


4 comments:

  1. I love Portland. Even the people there are kind. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Thank you for stopping by. I am hoping beyond hope that we don't have to put daddy any where's but will when the time comes.
    Take care Michele.
    Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and then there those of us that are living with feet of snow. Sniff, sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Portland, but your photos are wonderful. ...a nice escape from the frigid air and snowy sidewalks of Minnesota. But I guess we have to enjoy wherever we are at any given moment. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive heard of places where you can rent bikes. I think that is so neat!! And thats great mileage for 2014!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete