Saturday, July 5, 2014

STP is one week away!

Happy Fourth of July Weekend!
I know many of you are in areas of the country with drought. In the upper Midwest we have the opposite weather: too much precipitation. Our spring/summer has been one of the wettest on record. This weekend holiday weekend is one of the first summer weekends where it has not rained (yeah!).

One of our traditions on the fourth of July is to ride our bikes around town to family gatherings and then to the Stone Arch Bridge spanning the Mississippi to watch the fireworks. I logged 32 miles yesterday just pedaling around town. Super fun and a great way to get me back to a calorie neutral day after I made Greek style hamburgers and a Norwegian strawberry cream cake.
Speaking of cycling, I rode 474 miles in June!  So far this year I have cycled over 1600 miles. I have been training since February for the Seattle to Portland (STP) bike ride which will occur next weekend, July 12 and 13. 


















I trained very hard for this ride, starting off on my trainer during our very long Minnesota winter. 



Since I rode in the Tour de Cure in May, I have completed several more rides that were 60 miles or greater, including an 80 mile one day, followed by 40 the next day. I believe I am ready for the STP, but I know it will be a challenge. That is why I am doing it because it is a challenge. Becoming an endurance cyclist is not something I ever imagined that I would do. But I have. Cycling is a way for me to continue to work on my health and fitness and do it in the beloved outdoors.

This ride is also a way for  me to celebrate my 60th BD (last May). Yes, I still have a way to go to be at goal, but for now, I am celebrating my accomplishments so far. My son, Sean, who lives in Port Townsend, WA will ride with me. It will be very special to ride with my adult son. He will be a wonderful companion and rider. 

I stopped training about a week ago. The 32 miles I did on the Fourth, was just for fun, not training. I am trying to just let my body recover now and rest.  I shipped my road bike out last week to a local bike shop in Seattle who will get my bike road ready for Saturday. I have my food planned, too, for the ride, including the hydration mix that I love called Skratch lab. Their mixes are not sweet like the Gatorade types and are also not rough on your stomach. The STP is a very well organized ride, with 10,000 riders they have to be. There are food stops every 20 miles, but I want to be sure that I have the foods that I have used all along when I am training. 

Besides training for the STP, I have been working hard on eating overall very well. I have not lost any additional weight, due to the additional calories I had to eat while I trained. 

I have also made plenty to time to play with my grandbabies and cheer on the MN Lynx this summer. 



 I hope you are all making good progress on your own health. Stay strong!
TTFN,
Michele


4 comments:

  1. Michele, I just commented and it's not here. Oh where or where did my comment go? Oh well, hi......
    Thank you for stopping by.
    Good luck. I wish you and your son the very best. I will be praying for you both. I am glad you are taking such good care of yourself and yourself is taking care of you.
    Take care Michele. Blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to impress me with your cycling efforts and ambitions! I love cycling, too, although I am nowhere near at your level but I have been enjoying some lovely rides around our local parks and rivers. Some of my routes are quite hilly and this is the first time in years that I feel I am properly exercising. I love that you are doing the STP with your son, that will make it an extra special experience. Safe travels to Seattle and hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so proud of you!! What a great race to look forward to, and that your son is doing it with you is icing on the cake.

    You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS! I wish I would have known you were in town. I would have watched you come in. I live just outside of Portland. My hubby is doing the race next year. If you do it again, let me know, I would love to meet you officially!!

    You have come sooooo far. I remember when you bought your first bike. You have been so diligent and hardworking. Look at what you have done. You are amazing!!!!

    Keep up the great work!!!!

    ReplyDelete