Monday, June 2, 2014

Tour de Cure


Greetings!
On Saturday, May 31, I completed the 62 Tour De Cure, a cycling charity event for the American Diabetes Association. Here is an Endomondo picture of my route except the last 4 miles when my phone died. I am VERY happy to report that I averaged 13.1 mph. The course was mostly flat (climbs were less than 1000 feet total), however there was a stiff breeze. This year, my sister who has a son with Type 1 diabetes, rode with me as well as two of my own adult children (who both rode the 45 mile).

Here is my sister and I at the start and at the finish. We came in under 4 hours and 45 minutes which is not at all bad in my book! 


We came in under 4 hours and 45 minutes which is not at all bad in my book for 62 miles! A cycling charity event is a win-win, too, for the charity, in this case the American Diabetes Association and for me, the cyclist who trained hard. The 62 mile course wound around Minneapolis and St Paul, including a number of area lakes. All riders were well supported with volunteer staff and great food at all rest stops. There are rides from 7 to 100 miles, so a course for nearly everyone. Maybe some of you will consider this kind of event in your own future. 

The Tour de Cure was a good test to see just how ready I would be for the big ride I am planning in mid-July the Seattle to Portland ride. While there was not the elevation gain that I will have on the STP, there were many hours in the saddle and of course many miles. I was very pleased with my results. I was tired at the end, but, not exhausted. As a matter of fact I was pleasantly surprise at how much stronger my legs were than two years ago when I did the same length. I knocked off 20 minutes off my time from 2012.


I plan to put in many long rides over the next 5 weeks while I finish my training for the STP.  Look forward to catching up with you all now. Take care and TTFN,
Michele

PS: E. Jane, I can not access your blog!

8 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Congrats on your time and your persistence in training that helped you achieve that time!!! Can't wait to read your report of the next big ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin' good, Michele!! Congratulations on your time and for taking part in this very good cause. BTW, I have had some computer problems, and it has taken a while to get things back to normal. You should be able to access my blog now, but I'm not posting much at this time. My husband took a fall off a ladder and is still in the hospital. More on that later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Michelle!!! Wonderful achievement!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you rock! It is so cool to see how hard you are pushing yourself physically. You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are looking wonderful my dear friend. I am so proud of your ride and doing it in such a great time. I can't wait to read about your next ride. You are one awesome woman.
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very impressive bike ride. I believe the most I ever have ridden a bicycle (distance) in my entire life is 16 miles and that was as a teenager. You have my admiration and respect!

    ReplyDelete