Monday, April 21, 2014

Updates, spring and cycling


Happy Easter and Happy Spring! 
We had a very, very slow start to spring this year in Minnesota. However, yesterday (Easter Sunday!) was glorious! About 65 degrees, sunny and calm winds. We were going to do our Easter dinner spread inside, but with such lovely weather, we moved everything outdoors and ate outside for the first time in 6 months. According to Paul Douglas, our Minnesota meteorologists “this past winter was the toughest since 1983-84 for the Twin Cities, factoring persistence of cold and quantity of snow.” Here is a graph of the amount of snow we had. I like winter, a lot actually, but this one was too long for me.


My spring cycling and training has been inconsistent at best. I have logged 733 miles, with many of those on my trainer. Outdoor cycling has been fraught with low temperatures and cold. I do not do well cycling below 20 decrees on a bike even with good winter cycling gear. Here are a few pictures of our slow march into spring in the Upper Midwest:
March 29, 2014, near our cabin in NW Wisconsin, riding in 45 degrees 
March 30, 2014: Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis, 33 degrees
April 11 in Minneapolis: Lake Harriett still frozen about 50 degrees
Crex Meadows, WI, April 13, 2014 (37 degrees)
April 21, 2014: LAke Harriett open and 72 degrees!
I am hopeful a real spring trend is on the way now. The cold weather means that for me I have struggled with cold induced asthma, which has also slowed my training down. I am behind in my training miles for the Seattle to Portland ride, but hopeful that I can log more miles as our warming trend continues.

Hope the weather near you is warm and inviting for outdoor activity!
TTFN,
Michele

2 comments:

  1. We were in Minneapolis/Edina yesterday to celebrate Easter with our kids and grandkids. We spent the afternoon on the deck, and it was a welcome reprieve. You're right--this winter was too long, and for me, it's been the worst I can remember. I think the temperatures have been the most consistently cold that I can every remember, as well.

    I need some outdoor exercise. Hang in there, it will soon be "lake time," and then we will forget about the past frozen several months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fair amount of miles.

    ReplyDelete