Monday, April 21, 2014

Citibikes in NYC!

I spent my spring break in early April in Philadelphia at an educational research conference. On a light conference day, my hubby and I took the train up to New York City with the idea that we would get around on the new ride share bike program called Citbike. We wanted to see the new World Trade building, cross the Brooklyn Bridge and explore the area near the Hudson River.
The bikes are very sturdy and heavy

They need many kiosks with tens of bikes in this city!
Bike path near the Hudson River and lower Manhatten

World Trade One (under construction still)



 Brooklyn Bridge

 Statue of Liberty

Another view from the Brooklyn Bridge of Lower Manhattan

We rode over 15 miles that day with beautiful clear skies with temps about 58. Citbike will be a great bike-sharing program, but there are still some bugs to get out. You can only check out the bikes fror 30 minutes at a time. In a city like NYC, you do not make much riding progress with all the lights. The best area to ride is around the river. If you go to NYC you can go back and forth from various places in Manhattan to the river bike paths where cycling is safe. You also need to be aware that the bike Kiosks for cycling bikes in and out is finicky. We lost some time and were frustrated at times by this slow process and had to call the 1-800 number several times to get our bike properly checked in. But, all in all, I would do it again. I have been to NYC maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. This was the first time, I traveled up top, meaning we never used the subways or underground, except coming into Penn station by the train.  Glorious views of the City from the bike, but, and this is a big one, you have to really watch the volume of cars!

TTFN,
Michele



6 comments:

  1. In all my travels I've never made it to NYC. Been to both airports many times passing through, but never actually visited the city. Looks like a fun time with the bikes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat that you did all the bike riding in New York. I would have never thought about that. Looks like you guys had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend and we have toyed with going up for a weekend....running and biking the city! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to NYC but driving a semi truck and unloading or loading freight. I would love to see it your way. Your biking is awesome. I do love the share/bike thing. That is cool except the check in part.
    Keep up the great work Michelle. Take care and God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michele, found my way here via Leslie and happy I did :) Like you I decided in my 50s to finally address my weight and health, hoping I haven't left it too late! I love that you love cycling! Exercise and I have not been friends for a long time and an ankle problem means I cannot do much walking and definitely no running. But having grown up in Germany I have always loved cycling and I plan on doing lots of long bicycle rides on my beloved Dutch bike this summer. This post reminds me of when I lived in MA and took the truck down to NYC with my bike on the back. I met a friend there and we rode our bikes around the Hudson River Trail. I loved it! Your cycle adventures are wonderful and I look forward to following you along. Take care, Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete