Sunday, January 19, 2014

Keeping focused on health when traveling!


Hello Everyone,
Just back from a conference trip to San Antonio! Beautiful weather (60 degrees or more everyday!).
I am very happy to report I ate well and I exercised well. If you travel for conferences you know that is an accomplishment. In my profession, conferences are a great opportunity for networking and reconnecting with colleagues about research interests and other professional reasons. Often times that networking is over a meal with tasty beverages involved. I planned really well BEFORE I left by taking a few items that would help me out. I froze my favorite yogurt smoothie mix (1 liter) the night before I left. I packed this frozen smoothie mix along with some PB and J and some of my go to 90 calorie a slice bread.  All of that went into soft-sided cooler into my checked bag. My hotel room had a refrigerator. So, I arrived at the hotel  with my healthy eating supplies in hand. I also located a Subway sandwich shop only 1 block away, which made it easy for me to grab lunch (360 calories).  I ate PB and J for breakfast and yogurt for snacks. Two meals were shared with colleagues. I was careful with what I chose to eat and did not go overboard.

The other thing I did was I checked online to see  if San Antonio had any of the bicycle sharing systems that are popping up in most larger US cities. They did and at $10.00 a day they were a fitness bargain. In fact there was one right around the hotel corner. Each morning I woke up early to get out on the bike and do some miles. Yesterday in my wanderings on the bike I found the jack pot trail along the river. Miles of riding with gentle hills along the fabulous Mission Trail systems.

I was in heaven!! 
 










Although the trails look empty in the pictures, there were many families and individuals taking advantage of this beautiful and safe place to ride. All together I rode for 43 miles in San Antonio!! 

Have a great week. Stay strong. Be well. TTFN,
Michele

11 comments:

  1. Hi Michele - I have a nephew and his family in San Antonio and I'm overdue a trip to TX. I didn't know about the bicycle rental. What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job managing your food and exercise at your conference! A true victory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bicycle rental!! I knew they did this in Europe, but never heard of it in the USA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I feel warmer just looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew they had those bicycles in New York but had not heard of them anywhere else. What a great idea and the trail looks awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooo impressed! You were very smart and methodical in your approach and what a pay off to find a beautiful trail and share it with the locals. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michele, I love this post. Eating while traveling is such a challenge. Love that you found the bike library and racked up the mileage. We did that in Fort Collins, CO and it was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome Michele. You did so well thinking ahead. I'm learning that also with my trips. Even though I'm gone for about 12 hours I plan them from snack to lunch and lots of water (as long as I know I can find a potty someplace). The biking looked great too. We will have to get together again this spring and you can take me for a spin again.
    Take care my friend!!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to rent a bike, Michele. It sound so much more fun than just walking everywhere. I'm glad you had such a great time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you've nailed the healthy traveling there! I wish we had a system like that with bikes, seems like such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, You are awesome!! Great planning :) and it looks like you really enjoyed yourself too :)

    ReplyDelete