Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January!

Hello Friendly Bloggers!
You all know about the record cold that descended on the Upper Midwest and most of the US and Canada last week. It was too cold for me to venture out much, let alone cross-country ski.This was the low temperature a week ago Monday.


I exercised by riding my bike that is hooked up to a trainer. Over the five-day cold spell, I rode 22 miles on my trainer.  I am just beginning my overall training for spring and summer. I am starting out very slow and easy, just trying to keep up a steady cadence. Any of you that ride on a trainer know that when you stop peddling or pause there is no coasting like on a real bike. This is actually good for me, because the trainer helps me to work on my continued peddling.

I did pick up cross-country skiing after the cold moved out. I logged 15 miles of skiing so far this month, plus 1 mile of skating! Not bad for the fierce cold moth of January! Yesterday we had 5 inches of new snow. I ventured out to a small lake close to our home in Minneapolis. You can see I am making a new trail as I plod along. Because of the depth of the snow it was more like cross country walking, but it was still great exercise.



I am excited to report that I have registered for my two signature (hopefully) biking events for 2014: the Tour de Cure and the Seattle to Portland ride. 

For now, I am working on eating very healthy, including at least once a day a VERY large salad that looks something like this:
 
I am off for a few days to a conference San Antonio and 60 degrees! I will have many obligations toward the conference, but I found out that they have bike kiosks nearly everywhere in San Antonio. I plan to get on one of those every day!

And the best local news: the Minnesota Orchestra and the Board of Directors settled on a new contract! Yeah for us!

TTFN, stay strong!
Michele

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Cross Country skiing is HARD work, especially when you have deep snow!! Congrats on signing up for your rides!! AND I hope you get to enjoy the warmth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been on my ski's much this winter. I really need to get out there. Like you said it's been so cold and than when it's not I have other commitments. Keep up the great work Michele.
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete