Saturday, June 8, 2013

From the Deck!










Greetings from the Deck!
I am just finishing my first week of being swept off my feet by my fifth metatarsal break. I found out through a little internet research that this break is called the Jone’s break, named after Sir Robert Jones, who first described this fracture pattern in 1902. I learned that this bone is the most common one broken in the foot.  After walking over 4 blocks using crutches (which was not fun) to get to the first Lynx game of the season, I decided there MUST be a better way to get around with a broken foot. I found this cute little thing on Craig’s list:

I named her Scottie my Scootie. She is my new little friend also known as a knee walker. I am able to get around pretty well now, at least on level surfaces. 
I can get in and out of my car with crutches, and fetch her from the hatch back area of my Prius. Works pretty well. I was able to attend search committee meetings and two days of professional development last week,  basically unassisted, too. On another day, I took most of the grandbabies to a park nearby. 


For fun I do leg lifts now (that boot is heavy!).


Or ride around with my foot propped up while hubby does the errands.
I started doing sit ups and push ups like crazy. I can not do any exercise where I put weight on my foot, so I feel now is the time to strengthen upper body and abs. I also am building my strength by crutching it up stairs (with someone keeping an eye on me) and around the house.

Summer is gently beginning here in the Upper Midwest, thus the deck at the cabin is the place for me right now. 



Because I am VERY vulnerable for weight gain now because I am not cycling (WAAA!!) and burning hundreds of calories, I am watching carefully what I eat and trying to stay under 1200 calories a day. Once I get the okay to trainer cycle I do not want to have to work on shedding 2, 3, 4 or any pounds. If my foot heals well I may get to trainer cycle in two weeks. 
The Minnesota Lynx (WNBA) started their season a week ago. So far they are 2-0. Our seats are on the aisle making it reasonable for me to get in to see them with some of my little helpers.


That is the news from the Deck!
Stay strong and TTFN,
Michele

4 comments:

  1. Ouch to the foot. I KNOW how that break feels (unfortunately). Looking on the bright side, at least it's summer and you are not cooped up in the house recouperating!
    Wishing you a quick recovery and an even quicker return to cycling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed you're doing upper body work. So maybe there's a silver lining in any cloud?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a speedy recovery. It's a good thing that better weather seems to be on the way in our lovely state. At least you can enjoy the summer on your deck.

    Thanks for your very thoughtful comments on my latest post. You truly have very good insight into the situation of weight loss and weight gain. Some people think it's all a matter of will power, but in truth, the struggle is so much more complicated.

    This is my first day on MF, and I am already being encouraged by some to figure out how I'm going to avoid regain this time around. I can't put the cart before the horse. I need to focus on losing the weight right at the moment. The timing has to be right, and it is as individual as our other personal traits.

    We will make it, Michele, and this needs to be the summer that we get together. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a calm peaceful day in the woods. (except for the snakes and bears!!) Hows your foot? Proud of you for staying active!! Id probably use it as an excuse to sit on my rear and do some unhealthy eating!!

    ReplyDelete