Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Aloha

Aloha! A simple and short word that means many things to the Hawaii people including: hello and good by; love; to consciously manifest life joyously in the present and as a way of life, to name just a few.
I was privileged to experience aloha on the island of Oahu over the past 10 days. Many members of my family traveled to this beautiful island for the wedding of a good family friend.

Coming from a very much wintry Upper Midwest I was taken a back by the incredible majestic beauty of that beautiful state. The vibrant flowers delighted my heart and fed my soul. 



The wedding reception was held in a beautiful botanical garden on the north shore of Oahu. Beautiful setting. Beautiful couple. Amazing to spend time with my adult children, their partners and some of their off spring.


I ate well. I was enthralled by the taste of lettuce of all things. I eat good produce and everyday. But the lettuce I eat in MN tastes nothing like that in Hawaii. We went to many farmers’ markets and became quickly spoiled by the variety of vegetables and fruits.  I exercised well, too. I rented a bike and logged over 100 miles on it. The area we stayed had an excellent bike path and some hills that made it easy to hop on every morning. Plus, we swam and played in the water nearly everyday.
We hiked up a couple of mountains, too, a few times.
It was a remarkable trip and remarkable in healthy ways, too. Throughout I was mindful to eat well and enjoy things in moderation. I had a little ice cream most days, and of course enjoyed a nice piece of wedding cake. I also became familiar with the wonderful world of Hawaii smoothies at Lanikai Juice;  made with a variety of fruits and a little yogurt they were delicious and refreshing. I never binged or even wanted to. My healthy eating and living life style is really part of who I am now. 
I enjoyed island time and tried to live aloha every day. My plan is to keep living aloha every day. It is now back to work for a few days before I head north to Barrow, Alaska to supervise some students. Take care. Stay strong and keep moving forward toward better health. 
Aloha,
Michele

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family! I'm happy you had a blast! Awwww! SO SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to see some lush flowers and the ocean while I'm sitting in the midst of still-wintry MN. It will be a strange contract for you to go from Hawaii to Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that strange CONTRAST! Though maybe you have a strange contract too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great trip. From Hawaii to Alaska will be quite the rude awakening!! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Hope all is well Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely, Michele! What a great family!

    ReplyDelete