Sunday, March 24, 2013

Health News!


Greetings Bloggers! 
Last week was a truly great week for me. First of all, I lost three pounds!!!! I am now down to an even 170. This is my first loss in 18 months. I cannot tell you how inspiring it is to finally knock off some pounds. I think I am hitting my stride now with eating and I am keeping to the same basic eating habits every day. It is paying off. I will blog more about my daily eating habits next week, because I have MORE great news to share with you.
I had my annual physical last Thursday. I was a little nervous, not because of the exam part, but, because I knew I would have a bunch of lab tests, including fasting glucose and my first diabetes screen the: HEMOGLOBIN A1C. My mother was diabetic, my younger brother is diabetic, and being still in the obese category I am at high risk. Here are my results: 



Here is the message from my doctor:
Michele, 
Your cholesterol is about the same as at your last check, it does not need to be monitored annually. Your blood sugar is excellent and your A1C is in the non-diabetic range.
I was astounded that my blood glucose has gone from 90 last year to 66 this year!! Plus, my overall lipid panel has improved as well. As you know, I  maintained the same weight loss (40 pounds) for almost 18 months. However, it is not just weight loss that is a measure of my vastly improving health. I kept up my exercise and continued to eat, for the most part very healthy. It has paid off in spades! With that 3-pound loss, well, I have not had a week of good healthy news in a long, long time.
As far as exercise,  I rode 27 miles this week on either my trainer or my Dutch bike (14). I am getting in at least 30 minutes 5 times per week on one bike or another.
Last week was a fairly intense week professionally. It was our once every 6 year programmatic accreditation by the North Central Association for Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Minnesota Board of Teaching (BOT) licensure review. We passed it all with flying colors. As  matter of fact, we were commended by NCATE for such a high quality evaluation. I was not too worried about the evaluation, but I was concerned about all the FOOD that would be part of every event, including some large gatherings with NCATE/BOT folks and alums over the lunch/dinner hours. I am happy to report that I passed on all the buffet food: chips, wraps, cookies, bars, pasta, gourmet sandwiches, etc., by planning ahead carefully and having my own food in my little cooler or a lunchbox. It was so busy, that I do not think a single person noticed that I was not eating most of the delicious foods served by our great kitchen at the college where I teach. I did  get a plate at times, but my plate only hosted tomatoes or carrots or fruit. It was a great strategy and got me through what could have been a solid 72 hours of overeating.
One more event: Saturday was my granddaughter’s tenth birthday. She asked for a carrot cake, which is one of my specialties. I planned for that, too. I rode my trainer bike for 30 minutes in the morning. Later that morning I went out for another 7.5 miles on my Dutch bike. I banked about 500 extra calories from the double rides enough for a nice slice of carrot cake. I enjoyed every single delicious bite!
So, folks, planning, planning and more planning are the keys to my success.  If I can do it, so can you. Really you can.  Don't give up. You are worth it. 
Have a great week! TTFN!
Michele

9 comments:

  1. Wow Michele!! What great results! I'm sure it's wonderful to learn that all of your efforts and hard work have paid off so well. I will be waiting to hear more about what you have been eating, because that is a factor in your excellent numbers! Congrats to you. You are a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, your patience and persistence with such a slow losing pattern in a true motivation for me. Those lab numbers speak for themselves - there is absolutely nothing more to be said. My numbers from my January physical were equally as good and oh how I hope we can continue to speak the message that WHAT you makes a huge difference in everything, not just a number on a scale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what I would give for those numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great numbers. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are doing great!! I'm just getting myself back on track!! I will catch up with you soon!!

    Take care of yourself!!

    Proud of you!!!!

    NO FEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray - great news! So glad to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job, Michele! This is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Michele. A week late but you totally rock. I'm going to be taking my bike to work with me soon and start riding where ever I need to go in town on days I'm in town all day. Even if it's just to the Hallet to exercise or to Kim's to walk.
    I would love to see what your meals are like and if I could incorperate something into my day.
    Take care Michele and I hope you had great Easter. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michele this is Nicole at Colie’s Kitchen. We are doing a 100 day weight loss challenge starting Monday April 8th. If you are interested in participating we would love to have you join us!! http://www.colieskitchen.com/2013/04/is-anyone-interested-in-weight-loss.html

    ReplyDelete