Saturday, March 16, 2013

Exercise of many kinds and status quo in weight loss


Greetings !
Already the middle of March. Wow!
Cross country skiing is about over for me for this year. Temperatures are pushing over 32 degrees during the day, which means the snow is just too icy to ski safely. I am proud to say I got in about 66 miles this winter of cross country skiing! That is over 10, 000 kcals burned, too, by the way. My goal was 50 miles, so obviously I went past that. I know many of you live in areas of the country where you can not cross country ski. If you get a chance, give it a try. It is one of the best, low impact, full body exercises that you can do. My legs and arms are both much stronger because of it, plus you are outdoors which is for me one of the best parts. Here is a picture of my skis on one of my last runs. 
I am skiing in a snow mobile track that my neighbor made so that I wouldn’t have to make my own tracks and sink in. 
Last Wednesday I spent the afternoon with two of my favorite girls: Ellery and Nani. Nani will turn 10 next week, so we celebrated a little with just the three of us. Nani got to pick what she wanted to do and she chose the very popular indoor park in our area. As you can see from the pictures the indoor park has quite a climbing apparatus. Well I was thinking I would sit on one of the benches and just keep an eye on the girls. Well, no, they invited Oma to come play with them. So, why not? I climbed in the hamster cages and went down the slides, too (except the long tunnel one~I am a little claustrophobic!). I was pleasantly surprised to see how much more agile I have become, more than likely due to all that skiing. I can’t compete with those two girls, but I could keep up and climb up all the steps. It was actually fun! Getting in better shape allowed me to have fun with my two favorite girls and not be afraid that I could not play along with them. I forgot to snap a picture so you will have to make do with one taken last year at Nani's First Communion.

In other fitness related news, I rode my bike and trainer last week for 17 miles. Now that biking season is nearing, I am working on getting some of my rhythm back. That trainer is way easier for me this year. I can easily do 5 miles without stopping. If you never rode a bike hooked to a trainer you may not know that the tension on the wheel can be significant. Yes, you can adjust it, but there still is more tension than a typical ride. All that skiing and cycling from last year has definitely increased the strength in my legs that I can get on the trainer and ride steady.
Lastly, I am still holding my own with weight. Nothing lost this week. Clothes feel loser, but that is it. The last two weeks have been pretty much perfect for me in terms of eating. I have shared with you that my basal metabolic rate is 1070 kcals per day. Meaning that is what my body expends at rest, naturally. 1070 is VERY low. I am guessing that most of your metabolic rates are closer to 2000 kcals if you are a woman and men well you probably top off way over 2000. I exercise regularly, eat well, and the pounds do not just fall off. I try not to be discouraged, but last week there were a few low points. I picked myself up though. What choice do I have? I want to lose the weight. I really want to get out of the obese category... Eventually it will come off. Right?
How do you keep from being discouraged?
Have a great week. Stay strong and steady in your getting healthy efforts!
TTFN,
Michele

2 comments:

  1. You have the same issue that I have: low metabolic rate. I have been told that much of that is due to the beta blockers I take. That is why the weight loss is so slow and tedious. Your patience has been an example for me. I am trying to step up the exercise. Hang in there, we can get there!!

    BTW: Where is the indoor climbing gym?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cool park. And that is what I want to always be able to do, keep up with the kids. With my daycare I don't get to just sit and watch, we do it together. You are doing awesome Michele. I'm finally getting back into it too. That year with Mike gone, just wasn't it. But now, I can do this again and I know it.
    Take care and have an awesome Friday. Blessings my friend!!

    ReplyDelete