Saturday, February 23, 2013

Snow and exercise


Greetings to You From A Snowy Minnesota (again!),
Lately I have heard fellow Minnesotans complaining about our long winter. Not me. Not by a long shot. As a matter of fact, I hope the snow lasts at least another month (doubt that it will) because I am finally in my rhythm of cross-country skiing. It makes my heart and my body happy to be out on those skies with nothing but beautiful winter, mother nature and myself. Generally, except for a far of snow mobile or occasion car, it is quiet and majestic where I ski at our cabin. I find cross-country skiing as restorative for me spiritually, emotionally and physically as biking. Endomondo tells me that I have skied 36 miles so far this winter. I hope I can get in at least another 15 to go over 50 miles for the winter. The picture above is my long drive way at our cabin. We had so much snow this past week that I decided to ski on the plowed drive rather than make new trails in a foot of snow (Yes, that is basically impossible!). 

Cycling season is still in the distance. I was lucky to get in a number of miles this winter in the Netherlands making my total so far about 75. I am back to riding on my trainer. I am doing only about 15 minutes at a time. Last year was the first time I used a trainer and I HATED it. But, this year, something is different with me and maybe even in my overall condition. I do not hate it nor do I loathe getting on it. As a matter of fact, I enjoy getting on it, because I know that cycling season is on the horizon.I am planning on working up to about a 30-40 minute trainer ride 3-4 times a week. By the end of March I should be able to start riding one of my bicycles although probably not my good road bike until mid April. 

I am deeply committed to shedding my next 20 pounds this year. I have been stuck at 40 pounds off for over a year and a half. I can finally say that I have found a rhythm again after being gone most of January. I’m staying within 1500 calories a day for the most part. My staples are a yogurt smoothie and a large salad every single day. There is more, but right now those two are keys to my success. I also have learned that for me planning is key. I rarely leave the house for work, meetings or even just hanging out with the fam without taking something that I can eat as a snack if I get hungry. Without planning it is just too tempting to eat foods that are processed and high in sugar. 

Finally, I want to share with you pictures of the lovely ice rinks that are near my home in Minneapolis. Hockey is a huge sport here. Most parks have an outdoor sheet of ice for recreational skaters and a regulation size hockey rink for league and pick up games. This one is even lit up at night.

 How about you: have you grown weary of winter?

Take good care of yourself. Stay strong and TTFN,
Michele



6 comments:

  1. We had a foot of snow last week and are expecting more! I'm ready for spring. Glad to be heading south for vacation later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Minnesota cold and snowy or at 95 degrees! We have a wonderful variety of weather, and as a result, life is a smorgasbrod. Minnesotans are a hardy bunch, even if we do complain about the weather incessantly. It's just part of the culture.

    You are so smart to continue your exercise during the winter, and bravo to your continued work on your weight and fitness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're the one hogging all the snow this year. LOL I am seriously jealous of your wintery weather! We don't usually get snow, but we at least get cold temps. Well, not cold to you, but cold to us- 20s and 30s. Last year and this year- nope. Please feel free to send some of your lovely snow down this way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not tired of winter, but that might have something to do with the fact that i was in Florida all of January!! Our winter in Tennessee has been fairly moderate and the longer the nighttime temps stay below freezing, I can hike solo without fear of bears or snakes. Once the bears are active and snakes are back out, I stop hiking alone and always miss the freedom and quiet of that. But I'm blessed with excellent hiking partners also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to have grown up there. We played a lot of street hockey where I grew up, and it was always a treat when we'd get a wintry mix and the tennis courts nearby would ice over. Even in sneakers it was really fun.

    There was a time in my life that I had a large salad every day. These were the summers in high school when I would stay home, practice my euphonium, drink big stadium cups full of water, and make a huge salad for lunch. It was nothing fancy - iceberg, cheese, lunch meat, and a piece of toast cut as croutons. There was dressing and sometimes also cottage cheese. Not the most nutritious salad, but better than a lot of things. I graduated high school 6'2", 195 pounds. Anyway, I like your strategy, and your goal for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had a few days with flurries, but nothing really measurable, so I'm still waiting for winter. Maybe next Wednesday, so they say. I'm with you on wanting to lose those final pounds this year. And I too, against all history, believe I will do it. I got a trainer for my bike this year and am relieved to hear that the second year is better than the first. 15 minutes is about right.

    ReplyDelete