Sunday, October 28, 2012

Plodding along...


Greetings From a Chilly Upper Midwest!
Twenty-eight degrees will not feel that chilly once winter settles in, but today it is COLD!!

The News: NY Times published an article about exercise and diet last summer.  “One of the few studies ever to have scrupulously monitored exercise, food intake and metabolic rates found that volunteers’ basal metabolic rates dropped as they lost weight, even though they exercised every day. As a result, although they were burning up to 500 calories during an exercise session, their total daily caloric burn was lower than it would have been had their metabolism remained unchanged, and they lost less weight than had been expected.” Other studies will surely confirm or refute these startling findings. However, for me, it offers an explanation of why despite rigorous exercise and good eating I have lost so little weight in the last many months. There is more to it, in the study, and for me, but this study supports my own hypothesis that there is much we do not know definitely about weight loss and the best method of doing just that.

For me, this past week I plodded along. I am still not able to exercise much. I am recovering from an upper respiratory virus that has left me breathless and coughing after even minimal activity. I managed two very short rides last week just 2.5 and 3 milers. I hope to slowly get back on my bike since the season is really waning now, but know I can only go sloooooow. Still felt good to be on my wheels again!

My thoughts are with all of you on the Eastern Coast of the US as you face Hurricane Sandi early this week.  I  hope the forecasts are not realized. May you and your family remain safe.

Stay strong everyone and TTFN,
Michele


6 comments:

  1. Hi Michele! Yes, the smaller a person's body gets, the more efficient it gets. However, I really like this post to confirm this fact, so I deal with it accordingly. Namely, I don't count on exercise to solve my weight problems.

    :-) Marion



    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that sober reading of the research. There was a NYT Mag feature by Tara Parker Pope in January that basically said if you're fat, you're ______. There must be another way, and one of us will find it.

    Hey, I thought the previous comment might have been by your idol, Marion Nestle! Turns out not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the findings in the article, and have my own experience to support it. Hang in there, you will get there. Sorry you've been sick. Those viruses can really hang on for a few weeks. Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele - I stopped by to check in. Plodding along is okay even if it's not pleasant. I guess it's just some practice in being "present" in whatever is.
    Cheers,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Michele. I stopped by to check in on you here. I know plodding along isn't that pleasant, but at least you're plodding along. (Practicing being present in what is!).
    Cheers,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good evenie Michele. Just stopping by to check in. I too know about this slow down and almost screeching to a halt. I did lose some of what I gained back when Mike left but there's even a bit of that left but it seems the scale sticks beyond a certain point and just won't budge. I'm back at the gym and starting a regular routine again, hopefully this will kick start it all up.
    Take care Michele and I hope that you get over your chest cold soon. It's the pits to be sick.
    Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete