Saturday, October 20, 2012

Body composition and fall ruminations

A couple of fall color pictures to start off this post. Fall is definitely waning here in the upper Midwest with the peak color now over for most deciduous trees except this beautiful maple and a small oak I found on a walk with these yahoos. 
 
Update on my Live Well Program: 
I am just about finished with Phase 1 of the Live Well Program at a local hospital. Last week I had another Bod Pod test, which analyzes my body composition for weight, lean mass and body fat. Since June I have lost 2.2 % of my body fat or 3.6 pounds of fat and increased my lean muscle mass by 4.4 pounds. In Live Well speak this is called remodeling. While a normal scale would suggest negligible weight loss, the Bod Pod indicates that I have remolded 8 pounds. This is encouraging to me. I think you all know that I trained all summer for the Venus de Miles ride in Colorado, which meant that I increased my daily calories to 1500, sometimes more depending on the length of my ride. According to my exercise physiologist it is very hard to lose weight (i.e. on the scale) when one is in training because of the added calories needed to sustain the exercise. My basal metabolic rate is 1070. Next week I will complete another series of tests (strength, stamina and stress), which will be used, along with my basal metabolic rate, to define a winter weight management and exercise program for me.

My basal metabolic rate (BMR) of 1070 means that I need only 1070 calories to sustain my daily life without much exercise. What I will try to nail down with my exercise physiologist is the optimal number of calories for weight loss. I am guessing that will be in the 1200 calorie range. While I still have about 35 pounds that I would like to lose, one of my goals for this year is to get out of the “obese” category. I am still over 10 pounds away from that goal. Not probably realistic that I can make it this year, but I will get as close as I can. The most important thing is that I am learning what works for my body. With 1070 as my BMR it does not take much to go over that amount in food consumption. For me just 200-300 calories extra a day will increase my weight. I always knew I gained weight easily, but now I understand more scientifically why it is so and why it is so hard for me to lose weight. I look forward to moving into phase 2 of the Live Well program. 

On another note, I hardly exercised, meaning cycling, this past week. I picked up a chest virus that has made it hard for me to catch my breath while exercising. I hope to get in a short ride tomorrow. 

Finally, our Minnesota Lynx women have struggled in the Finals to find their rhythm. We were so excited at the results of game 2:



 

Game 4 is Sunday at 7pm. All of us Lynx fans are rooting for another win which will bring the Series back to Minneapolis!

Have a great week. Thanks for stopping by. Stay strong and TTFN!
Michele

7 comments:

  1. My daycare family went to the Lynx game on Wednesday and said it was a great game and watching the coach was the best part.
    Love your pictures. Thank you for sharing.
    Take care Michele. Thank you for stopping by and your kind words.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to see a post from you as you. I'm enjoying your reports from the Live Well series. I learned a lot of these things in 2006 when I participated in a study at the University of Tennessee and they are facts about my body which are still so helpful to me today. You'll be glad you did this long after it is over. I have no doubt that you will reach your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool that you can measure your fat loss and muscle gain. And your results, of course. I've been stuck on 40 pounds down for some time, but it would definitely be more when considering trading fat for muscle. Very cool.

    And when your Lynx are through, you can start to write about the Vikings again - without shame! ;-) Seriously, they are a good team again, quite a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing & congrats on your body composition successes! I have had mine tested also - am due for another one soon...
    Your BMR is 1070? Wow, isn't that low? I've had mine done frequently at the clinic that I go to and mine is ... oh mine is RMR (resting metabolic rate) - 1786. Hmmm. How do they test your BMR?
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michele,
    Love the photos! Your metabolism is just like mine. I can gain weight very easily, and I lose very slowly. It takes perseverance to stick it out, and you have certainly done that. I hope the virus passes quickly. Take good care of yourself. We're off for a 10-day vacation, but I'll have my laptop, so I may be commenting anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go!! You are doing great! I would love to get that kind of testing! Need to check it out! Hope you get to feeling better soon!!

    Keep focused!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celebrate with pride over losing 2.2 % of body fat and gaining 4.4 pounds of lean muscle!

    ReplyDelete