Sunday, September 2, 2012

Summer Sizzle Wrap Up


Hello Bloggers!
Today is my last post for the Summer Sizzle Slimdown challenge hosted by Rochelle. I would like to thank Rochelle for designing a challenge that allowed all of us to continue to build good habits of health with weekly mini goals such as exercising 6 hours a week, embracing a fitness fear, or going low carb just for a week. From the beginning Rochelle was there to support all of us through the 14 weeks of the challenge. Thank-you, Rochelle, for your terrific leadership and support.

I had four goals for this challenge. Here is how I did:

1.     Weight loss: I lost a total of 4 pounds on this challenge, starting at 173 and ending at 169. My goal was to lose 7 pound. I did not make my target weight, but I am in the 160s, so I will take it. I re-checked my measurements and all together lost just short of an inch in waist, chest and hips. Weight loss is of course important to me, but I have to admit my main focus was on fitness and striking a balance between how much and what to eat depending on my cycling. Grade: B-
2.     Cycling: I worked all summer to prepare for the Venus de Miles ride, which I completed a week ago. That was my main goal for cycling in this summer challenge. I rode 1100 miles since the challenge began or about 90 miles per week. I stepped up my cycling to include hills and increased speed. Hills are not my favorite part of cycling, but I have learned how to spin in a steady cadence. My speed averages somewhere around 13mph depending on the terrain. So, I met all of my goals here. Grade: A
3.     Cross training: My commitment to cycling did not carry over to my cross training goals. I did do core exercises, but rarely more than once a week. I am better at push-ups, squats, lunges, and other core exercises, but I could have done better here. Grade: C
4.     Nutrition and health counseling: I am about 2/3rds of the way though my Livewell Fitness program at a local regional hospital.  I continue to log my food, record my exercise and meet with a health and well being coach, a nutrionist and a personal trainer. I learned about my own basal metabolic rate (which is 1070 calories per day), where I need to improve my overall conditioning and strength and ways to help me stay focused on health and fitness within my own life. It is with this program that I have accountability with someone else beside myself. My grade of B+ reflects my less than stellar commitment to cross training.

Picture time!

Me at 169!!
Thank-you again, Rochelle for hosting this challenge and keeping up with all of us.

My academic year started last week with a week full of meetings. We welcome students back to campus on Tuesday. I always look forward to getting to know my students and finding out who they are as people, where they are as learners and their own visions for themselves as teachers.  With the start of a new academic year it means that fall and cooler weather is on the way. I will use this first week of classes to ruminate and set goals for health and fitness targets for me for the remainder of this year.

Have a great week. Stay strong! Thanks for stopping by and TTFN,
Michele

14 comments:

  1. Nice job with the goals, not perfect, but pretty darn good. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your total loss 4 pounds is very close to your goal. You are doing a great job!! I am very proud of you! Maybe we can find a new challenge to hop on to!! -Kody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goals are just, well, goals. I think you did great throughout the challenge, and especially in your cycling. Extra credit from me for the nutrition and health counseling. We could all use a lesson or two there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a great challenge!! LOVE the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow congrats on the bike riding. You sure put in the miles. Way to go!! You look great by the way!!

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love that picture of you! Very pretty! I thought this challenge was great for increasing my fitness awareness too and I'm so grateful to Rochelle for her leadership as well. I'm hoping that the Synergy program will put me on the track to some major changes! I wish you continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing!! Great job on the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! You have remained so focused and thus are successful. Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did do awesome Michele and you look beautiful. I am so proud of you.
    It will be fun watching what you do next.
    Keep it up Michele. Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful picture of you!! Well done on all your accomplishments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress and new picture. We don't have to be perfect, but just strive to improve always. That's what you represent to me. I admire that about you. Now, gotta go watch the NFL game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look fabulous, Michele! You're doing great, as you consistently move on down the scale. A goal is just a guess, and the main thing is that you're moving in the right direction. Still hope to get together with you in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful job Michele! You look beautiful and happy. It is a journey that takes dedication and time and you are doing a great thing for yourself!

    ReplyDelete