Sunday, September 16, 2012

A new routine for breakfast and consignment shops!


Good Evening, Bloggers!
A great week and a great weekend are now behind me. Beautiful, warm weather with a hint of a cool breeze made it inviting to be outdoors. So inviting that I spent the later part of the afternoon outdoors prepping for next week’s classes. We don’t have that many days where one can easily “work” outside, so when we have them, I take them. I am over the hump of leaving summer behind and starting off another academic year.

Okay about the “new breakfast” in my heading above: Most of you know that I have kept my calories at about 1500 calories for the better part of a year.  Because I exercise mainly in the morning before work now, I eat the bulk of my calories for the day before lunch. I know I need more protein and something calorie dense in the morning, but have not found something that really appeals to me.  I eat Cliff bars when I am on long rides. They are full of dense calories (240) and high in protein (10 grams). So, I decided to try nibbling a Cliff bar for breakfast. I have done just that for one week. I am not as hungry come mid-morning and am finding that I can cut down about 200 calories a day. Plus, I do not feel sluggish or light headed. I still maintain my other foods, including several servings of both fruit and veggies, a yogurt fruit smoothie and other protein throughout the day.  I am going to continue with this breakfast regime for another week and see how it goes. Makes sense to me right now.

Consignment shops: Like most towns and cities across the US, we have a plethora of consignment shops in Minneapolis including one within walking distance in my neighborhood. I stopped in once in a while in the past but could rarely find anything that fit me. But, no more. On a recent walk I stopped in and was delighted to find a number of shirts and skirts that were just right for me. I love the great prices and the fact that I am “recycling” clothing, too. I am not much of a shopper in regular retail outfitters, but consignment shopping is definitely an adventure!

Cycling: I am also starting to get in my fall rhythm for cycling which will mean about 4 shorter rides a week and one longer one. My last long one took me round the lakes of Minneapolis, past Target Field where the MN Twins play and once again out to Minnehaha Falls. We are in drought conditions here as you can see with the mere trickle of water.
Hope you are all off to a great fall start, too! As always thanks for stopping by. Stay strong. TTFN,
Michele

6 comments:

  1. It is always a good feeling to find a new food that satisfies you. Even though I am a creature of habit with food, I am also on th lookout for new ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you listen to your body for how foods affect you. Great job on the biking, as always. And I notice you left the HHHMD off your itinerary this fall. Can't say I blame you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cliff bars builder, the peanut butter ones. I eat 1/2 for a snack sometimes and especially after or just before a heavy workout it's a great high protein choice for me anyway and I am NOT hungry after a really hard workout when I do that. For 135 calories it's an ok snack. I've eaten them for breakfast and they work well also. I've taken to doing a shake for breakfast. I buy the pre-made ones that have 160 calories and 30 gram of protein. It's been great because it fills be up and then I'm not hungry and the extra protein is good recovery for my muscle workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had a cliff bar. Something to give a try. Working on finding the perfect breakfast. So far oatmeal holds the longest but it's high in carbs. Oh well, I'll keep trying.
    Keep up the great work and have a blessed week.
    That falls looks pretty darn dry compared to when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to be able to find clothes at a consignment store. I need to do some shopping myself. I don't have anything for fall or winter.

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Michele...are you there??

    ReplyDelete