Sunday, August 19, 2012

Summer bounty, the Venus! and SSSC


Greetings on a Beautiful Summer Evening!
Summer is waning here in Minnesota which means I am trying to savor every minute of it including the bounty from our mostly container gardens. We picked a bunch of ripe tomatoes today for a salad with some beautiful peppers and our delicious green beans have been a part of many meals.




I planted my first ever herb garden this year. We have cilantro, oregano, rosemary, dill, and basil (several different kinds) that we have enjoyed for several weeks now. We also have zucchini that for some reason is not thriving (I think  the deer maybe eating it!) and onions and potatoes (not in planters). Besides our veggies, our flowers are beautiful too and attracting numerous pollinators and other insects.

The tips of some of our trees are already beginning to turn, which means fall is on the way.

We discovered a great used book store near our cabin today. Hubby and I bought a few books to take on our upcoming trip to Colorado. I started a new book that I am sure many of you have read: The Help. It is a great read which I can barely put down. I understand why I have heard such rave reviews. Nothing like a great book. Nothing.

Jo had an intriguing post the other day that really resonated with me. Although I was not in the over 300 pound category when I started this journey, I did ignore my own health, ate pretty much with abandon for years and did not regularly exercise much like the friend that Jo described. Sometimes I wonder why it took me so long to move on the path that I am now. I definitely had a fear of failure that kept me from even starting to really take care of myself. I know some of my inertia was denial which ran deep within me. There was also a lack of education of what it really takes to be healthy and fit. There are undoubtedly other reasons why it took me so long, but the fact of the matter is that I finally figured it out. There is no easy road; it takes time, determination and perseverance, but I am doing it. I wish Jo’s friend had found her way. I hope all of you continue to find your own way.

The Venus de Miles is now just a mere week away. This past week, I did not push myself on any of my riding. My longest ride was 14.5 miles, which I did today. Yes, there were some hills, but I took it easy. I feel prepared for this event and am really looking forward to it. It is a great way to raise money for a great cause and has been a great way for me to work towards a higher level of fitness.

My hubby and I will leave tomorrow morning for Boulder, Co. I am super excited to road trip with him. We have not been on a road trip like this together for over three years. I know there will be hiking as well as biking in our trip. We have some trails mapped out, but are leaving most of our 8 days unplanned (except for the events around the Venus). 


 As for Week 10 of the Summer Sizzle Slimdown Challenge….here is my update

1.     Weigh in: I won’t weigh in now until the beginning of September so nothing to report here.
2.     Calories: I did better on tracking calories this week than I did  the last (5/7 days).  
3.     Exercise: My weekly total is over 100 miles of riding-so I did great on this one.

Our mini challenge was to illustrate our overall challenge weight loss in food. Here is my weight loss in butter!
 

Yep, four pounds! Not a lot, but I will take them!
 
I will take a blogging break while I am gone to CO. This will be my last respite before the academic year begins.Look forward to catching up with you all when I return. Hope you all have a great week! Stay strong and TTFN!
Michele




 

8 comments:

  1. I am so envious of your trip to Boulder! I'd say it's my favorite place in the US, but then I have to starting saying, "except for..., and....., and ...." LOL! If at all possible, DO NOT MISS the Saturday morning farmer market. Can't wait for the trip report. And BTW, good luck with the bike ride. I wish for perfect weather on that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Boulder! Have a great trip and fabulous race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we Minnesotans do savor beautiful days, don't we. Have a wonderful trip to Colorado. For me, travel is inspiring and renewing. We have a California trip planned for late October that will take us from northern California to Los Angeles. It's something fun to look forward to and to keep me on the weight loss and fitness wagon. I'm working on having better walking and hiking stamina. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time in Boulder. It's such a beautiful town! I love Colorado! I know you will do wonderfully on your Venus ride. I cannot wait to hear all about it. I also wanted to tell you that you and Sarah at Thinfluenced have been a huge inspiration for me to get on my bike. Yesterday I completed my first ever 11.25 mile ride! Hills and all! Thank you Michele for being such a great inspiration to so many of us! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time, Michele. I envy you the road trip to Boulder. It should be a fun, beautiful trip. And, like others, I'll be rooting for you in your Venus ride. Can't wait to hear the details. Best wishes and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not wait to hear how you did Michele. I thought about texting you but figured I'd wait for you to come home. I want you two to just enjoy your trip and time together.
    Take care and have fun. Blessings my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks delicious, mind if I visit with my bib and a fork? Congrats on losing 4 pounds of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a great time at the biking event!

    Love your garden!! :)

    ReplyDelete