Sunday, August 5, 2012

46.5 miles and update on Summer Sizzle Slimdown



Hello Bloggers!
We have relatives from the Netherlands visiting us for a week which meant several days playing together at our cabin. Our weekend started off with some misty weather, but you can see it cleared up for a nice canoe ride with a couple of grandbabies in tow. 

I just finished my last long bike ride of my preparation for the Venus de Miles in Boulder, Co on August 26. Today I rode from Hayward, WI to our cabin in NW WI. It was a very blustery day which meant that I rode into a stiff wind for over two hours before the wind began to tamper down. Man that was tough. But, I did it! I also went up and over countless hills with a total elevation rise of 3,012 feet up and 3, 160 feet down.  You can not see all that in my route from Endomondo, but trust me is was a quite a work out
I burned at least 2500 calories. I still have three weeks before my event, but I know I can do the 67 mile course with the 3500 elevation climb. The next three weeks will see me doing more 20-30 mile rides and keeping my weekly mileage at about 100. 


Week Nine Update:

1.     Weigh in: I am down to 169! I have lost a total of 4 pounds during this challenge. This is the 9th week of the challenge which means I have lost about .5 pounds a week. This is exactly what I was hoping for. So, I am VERY excited!! Here is a new photo that shows off my now 44 pound total loss!

2.     Calories: I was not as consistent with my calories this past week, slipping in only 4/7 days under 1500 calories. I cooked and baked very healthy foods for our guests, but still went over on three days. I have no regrets either because I never binged or ate crazy. Just enjoyed a little more ice cream than is part of my caloric budget.
3.     Exercise: I biked 99 miles last week with my last being over 46. I did work on my core, but only twice.

Rochelle challenged us to avoid refined sugars last week. I will give myself a B- for this one. I do not normally eat very much sugar. I use a little honey in my smoothies which is about the only food that I really sweeten.  Last week was not typical because of our guests and well that ice cream. But again, no regrets.

What’s on tap for me this week?
We will be traveling to a family wedding in Bend, Oregon on Tuesday. I know there will be all kinds of goodies to eat, however, I am confident that I will stay within my calorie allotment on most days. I have given myself permission to go over my calories for two days, the wedding day and the day of the shower I am hosting (I am the bride's Godmother after all!!). I will budget an extra 1000 calories for those two days. I know we will do some hiking, plus I have all ready rented a bike for two days (after the wedding). I am hoping to get in a little hill work in Bend area on a bike to prepare me for both the altitude of Boulder and of course the elevation climbs. Bend is in Central Oregon which is the high desert of the Eastern Cascades Mountain range. It should be fun because my son is also planning to rent a bike and we will ride together.

Thanks for reading. Have a great week,  TTFN, Michele


9 comments:

  1. You did awesome on that bike ride. WOW Michele, you will be ready for your ride. I can't wait for it. I can't wait for you to tell us all about it.
    I am glad you had a great visit with your family and got to do some great things with them.
    And, you are beautiful. You look so fit and strong and healthy. YEAH for Michele!!!
    Good luck this week with more miles on the bike and the wedding and all.
    Take care my friend. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great!! Way to go! I am so impressed with your biking!! If you read my last post you will see that I am not doing as well! I need to work on this!!

    Bend!! You are sooo close! We are about 4 hours away. Would be fun to meet some day!!

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something has happened with this last round of weight loss. It really is obvious! My lordy gordy lady all that peddling is looking good on you. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and it's a great read. Keep up your great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele, great job on the 44 pound loss! Impressive training with 3,000 feet of elevation. I was wondering what you were doing to anticipate the altitude, but hopefully Bend will help. Best wishes. I can't wait to read how your adventures turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele,
    You look great! Your body must be reacting well to the many miles logged on that bike of yours. I know you will do wonderfully in the Venus de Miles. Glad that you enjoyed time with your family and I hope that you have a great time at the wedding. I'm impressed that you scheduled in your activity in advance. Good thinking renting a bike!
    Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are looking great, Michele, and congrats on the new decade! All that riding is worth it! I am so interested in how you do in the Venus - make good mental notes and tell us all the details. (P.S. Ice cream is okay once in a blue moon.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is some bike ride! And congrats on all the healthy fun & results!!

    -Patrick
    http://responsibility199.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look wonderful, Michele. And I also have to say that you have put such heart and soul into your weight loss process. Consistency has also been a great tool for you. Bravo to you my blogging friend!

    ReplyDelete