Sunday, July 22, 2012

Mid-summer in the upper Midwest and Summer Sizzle update





Happy Midsummer and Greetings with a few pictures from a beautiful area to beat the summer heat: NW WI!

Do you like ice cream? I do, too. I build into my calorie budget one ice cream every 7-10 days. Dairy Queen ice cream Is one of my favorites and they are plentiful around the upper Midwest. A small cone is 300 calories, so I can appease my ice cream fairy only occasionally and stay within my caloric budget. Well, last week is was hot and with heat my inner ice cream fairy woke up full throttle. I kept her at bay for a few days through sheer determination. When my craving did not go away after  three days, I decided to step on the scale and see where I was, even though I do not have an official weigh in for about two weeks.  Guess what?  I am in a new decade: the 160s. Just barely in, but there never-the- less. I can not tell you how exciting this was and what an incredible deterant it was from eating any ice cream. Actually, knowing that I finally landed in a new decade has pumped up my motivation like nothing else recently. I can not remember the last time I was in the 160s, at least 20 year or longer! So in trying to manage my cravings out jumped some very good news!

I spent the last few days at our cabin with three of the grand babies. We spent a lot of time in the water but we also managed to put in a few biking miles. There is a pirate ship not far from our cabin that they adore. That was a great incentive for them to do the 13 mile round trip and for me to get some much needed exercise. I towed the Burley with the almost three year old and a picnic lunch. Here are the two older ones on the country road on the way to the park. 

Stopping for a water break!
Happy Noah in the Burley. 
You can not see that he has a small back pack with his toys, too. 
It was quite a work out pulling that Burley up and down the hills that are around here. Noah, my passenger, weighs in at about 35 pounds. 


The Burley easily weighs around 15. But, I did it and did it just fine. That combined  total of boy plus Burley also represent close to how much weight I have lost. I used to carry that 45 pounds of extra weight on my body. Those days are over, but pulling that Burley was a good reminder to me about how it felt lugging those extra pounds around. 




Now on to the Summer Sizzle update for week 7:


1.     Weigh in: I am into the 160s which is a great milestone for me. 
2.     Calories: I was very consistent again with my calories this week. Coming in at 1500 on average.
3.     Exercise: I biked 54 miles last week. That is my lowest total for this summer, but, that was part of the give and take of watching over the three GBs.  I am sure my miles will be back to close to about a hundred this coming week. 

Rochelle challenged us to do a 5km last week. I am going to make it a walking 5 km which I will do in conjunction with Julie's virtual walk on July 27.  

Thanks for reading.

Have a great week,  TTFN, Michele

8 comments:

  1. Yay for you, Michele! Getting into the 160's is a wonderful accomplishment, and your consistent journey is amazing! Grandkids do change a person's schedule when they are visiting, but I can tell that you also feel so blessed to be able to do it. Life is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for GB's....well I can but it will be amazing when it happens.
    You are doing awesome Michele and 160's, that's well WOW!!!! You are doing amazing.
    Keep it up and you'll be to goal weight sooner then later. I'll slowly slide into home base one of these days.
    Take care and have a blessed week. See you Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new milestone. It feels great to reach those 10 increments.

    Great reminder pulling the extra weight. Nice to do that only when you choose to instead of all the time!

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of fun in this post, bravo!

    Ice cream is so heavenly, I could live on it, but that's not going to happen. Once every couple of weeks seems like a good rate to keep in touch with it though :)

    -Patrick
    http://responsibility199.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job getting into your new decade! I bet that feels fabulous! Also - nice work with the grandson and Burley - that is quite the extra load to pull. You are superwoman on that bike! Hope you have a great week ahead!
    P.S. Your resistance to the ice cream is truly a dieter's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congrats on the new decade! Aren't you glad you weighed early?

    Thanks for the info. I do have the What To Eat book. I could probably come out just as well by going to a good bookstore and spending my $500 there. I guess I'm just looking for something different. I will check out the hospital nearest me. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ice cream. So it's my "inner ice cream fairy" that's responsible for many a calorie debacle in the past. Hmm. I'll have to be on the lookout for her. Do you have a Pinkberry nearby? I heard about them in Debby's blog, but tried it for the first time when we were in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Better than ice cream. Awesome. And, thankfully, my closest one is about 30 miles from home!
    Congrats on dipping into the sexy 160s! You're my hero. I'm trying to follow in your footsteps! It feels great, doesn't it?
    Your grands are adorable. Yes, I. too, gladly work around my time with the grands to get in my exercise.

    ReplyDelete