Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fish tacos and Sizzle update 4


Happy July First!
Summer is full and fabulous now in the upper Midwest! That is of course if you like your temps in the upper 80’s and low 90’s. I do, as long as the humidity is low. We take advantage of our short summer by swimming just about every day we can. Nothing like a dip in a lake to cool you off. I am watching Ellery and Hann, two of the grandbabies, for the next week. We will spend the next week at our cabin in NW WI where we can easily play in many bodies of water.

For the Summer Sizzle mini challenge we are to post a new recipe that we enjoy.  For me it is fish tacos. I recently found the recipe below online We like our food with a little kick, which this recipe has.  I altered the original recipe a bit so here is my rendition:

Pan Seared Tilapia Fish Tacos
Makes 4 tacos (can be doubled)
1 teaspoon chili powder (you can cut this in half if you do not like the kick)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can cut this in half if you do not like the kick)
olive oil
2 limes
2 6-ounce tilapia fillets (or other mild white fish)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 corn tortillas

For the toppings: I use shredded lettuce or cabbage, diced tomatoes, avocado slices, some kind of pepper (bell peppers or Anaheim peppers are great), diced onion or green onion and roughly chopped cilantro to top them and serve lime wedges on the side. In addition, you can add your favorite salsa, chopped jalapeños, cheese or other taco toppings you like.

Prepare the fish. Mix the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil and the juice of 1 lime in a small bowl. Arrange the fish fillets in a glass baking dish or on a nonreactive platter (no metal). Brush fillets on both sides with spice mixture and season with salt and pepper. Let marinate at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes. Heat a large nonstick skillet over a medium flame. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom and sauté the fillets until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. (Note: I hardly use any olive oil, but I do cook them over a low flame). Transfer to a plate and break into bite-sized chunks with a fork.

Warm the tortillas. Heat a large dry skillet over medium-high flame and slightly brown the tortillas one at a time, about 30 seconds per side. You can also nuke them in the microwave (they won’t brown, but they’ll be nice and pliable) or if you want to live authentically and dangerously, you can lay them directly over a gas burner, browning them briefly and carefully on both sides.

Assemble the tacos. Divide fish among four tortillas and add your favorite toppings. Cut the second lime in wedges and serve with the tacos.

I estimated calories, but a corn tortilla is about 100 calories, tilapia is less than 100, and the veggies are next to nothing. So, one fish taco is less than 250 calories, even with a bit of cheese.

Our other challenge was to drink 100 oz of water a day. I do that easily because of all my bike riding. But, Rochelle only a couple of years ago I hardly drank any water. Now I have a glass as soon as I get up, one before my daily ride and take one along when ever I do errands or go to work. With the 2-3 liters I drink on my rides, I am well over 100 oz.

Other updates for the challenge:
1.     Weigh in: I am down 1 pound since the start of this challenge and so near a new decade (I am at 170) that I can taste it. Now that pound is not much, but I will take it. I will not take my measurements now,  but will wait until later this summer.
2.     Calories: I am very consistent with staying under 1500 calories, unless my daily biking tops 15 miles or greater.
3.     Exercise: I biked about 75 miles last week. I worked last week at the U of MN. This meant that I had to get up early (by 6) to squeeze in at least a 10 mile ride which take me about 45 minutes. My summer teaching at the U is very intense with long days, so I simply could not do any more. Today I got in a twenty miler otherwise my weekly total would only be 55.

I hope the rest of my fellow Sizzle challengers are rocking this challenge. The very best gift you can give yourself is to care for yourself. Get healthy. Get fit. You can all do this.

Thanks for reading. Have a great week and a Happy Fourth of July! TTFN!
Michele

12 comments:

  1. That is really something squeezing in the miles.

    Congrats on the weight loss. Oh won't it be sweet to be in the 160's!

    I now need fish tacos. Need. Yes, need. They are superfood. I declare it so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hot, hot, hot in good old Minnesota this summer. Payback for our non-winter, I guess. Enjoy the grandbabies and the cabin! BTW, the tacos sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the detail about your water intake. Conventional wisdom has moved beyond the old "eight glasses a day" rule of thumb, but I don't think the word is out. I'll be doing a post on this topic soon. (And *that* will get the word out! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fish tacos are one of my all time favorite foods! Your recipe is very similar to how I prepare them - YUM!!!!
    Congratulations on the pound loss - that is great. Hopefully your next weigh in will find you in the 160's!
    I'm doing better with water - but I'm still not where I would like to be. I agree that drinking water right when you get up helps set the tone for getting all of it in during the day. It' a new week so I am trying my best once again! Hope you have a great time with your grandkids and a wonderful 4th of July holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your 1 pound loss that is wonderful!! Keep up the good work and your tacos sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like y'all are having a fantastic summer! Your tacos are similar to my Mahi Mahi tacos- I make blue cole slaw to go with them. But now we use chard leaves as the tortilla. I'm down 1 lb too. Happy 4th! Enjoy your grands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those fish tacos sound yum! I'm definitely going to give them a try! Good luck this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo fish tacos and Pam mentions Mahi Mahi tacos. Yum I have yet to try mahi mahi..Chard leaves yeah

    My scale is in storage and I think it wants a vacation. Not me from the plan. Just getting away from my scale obssession.

    You all have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering if you were teaching this summer. That's super, passing on your knowledge to others.
    I haven't posted a new recipe yet for this week, not sure what I want to share, it's suppose to be red, white and blue....or my favorite. We'll see.
    Keep up the great work Michele and it'll be so great to see you the end of this month. You will be a skinny minny...me, not so much but healthier I will be.
    Take care and have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo for reeling in a new decade to within sight; fabulous!!

    -Patrick
    http://responsibility199.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so close to the new decade - awesome job! I so agree with your last thoughts - being healthy is the best gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never tried fish tacos but I'm thinking its time to branch out and give them a go. Congrats on all the great work especially the exercise, impressive at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete