Sunday, July 15, 2012

Bayfield, 40 miles and Sizzling

Hubby and I spent Saturday in the lovely town of Bayfield, Wi, gateway to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, about two hours east of our cabin and on Lake Superior.
Bayfield Harbor

Apostle Islands
Crystal clear water of Lake Superior
We brought our bikes and toured around the town. We planned to go back another time this summer and get out to one of the islands. On our way home we went through the town of Hayward, home of the Birkebeiner, cross country skiing race. It is lovely country side around Hayward with rolling hills. Hubby dropped my bike and I off and we started the ride home.


Here you get a glimpse of the rolling hills. The road is newly paved which made for a great riding surface.


I saw a soaring barred owl on my ride. This is not my image, but at least you can see what this owl looks like.

I rode a little over 40 miles before it started to became too dark. It was one of my best rides this summer. Exhilarating. I did the 40 miles of rolling hills with an average of 13mph in under 3 hours. It was warm too, with starting temps about 90 ending at 8:30 pm at about 80. Here is a partial terrain map of my route. I will definitely do this route again and allow more time to get all the way home.


 I have biked more miles, but never so many in hilly terrain like this. I can not tell you how much fun it was to do this ride. It was another indicator of how far I have come. I found myself just grinning as I tackled the hills and coasted down the other side. Yes, it was hard at times, but I did it. I know now that I will be able to do that Boulder ride in late August. 

Time for the Sizzle Update
1. Weigh in: I will weigh in next on August 5, so nothing new to report here.

2. Calories: I was very consistent with my calories this week. Coming in at 1500 on average, except for my long ride yesterday.

3.Exercise: I biked 99 miles last week. Besides my 40, all my other rides were over 20 miles which was exactly my goal for last week. For the next 4 weeks, each ride will be about 20 miles as I continue to ramp up my miles for the Venus de Miles on August 26. I did get in three days of core workout, too.

Rochelle challenged us to go meatless last week. I do not eat much meat for a number of health and ethical reasons, so this was not too hard for me. I did have fish, dairy and eggs. We have found a wonderful smoked salmon (1 cup is less than 70 calories) that has become one of our salad toppings. With summer fruits in abundance, we also add strawberries or blue berries to that salad, too. Today I made omelets featuring a cup of chopped green peppers, onions, and garlic. Delicious.

What’s on tap for me this week? I intend to complete my core-strengthening workout 4 times, plus do some stairs. I hope to get in another 3-4 twenty mile rides, but also a longer one of about 40 or more miles. I also plan to stay within 1500 calories each and every day.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for your comments on my blog. Have a great week, TTFN, Michele

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic pictures. You can tell you enjoy riding so much. The scenery is a great motivator too, I am sure! You are doing fantastic! Enjoy the last weeks of summer!!!
    P.S. That salmon sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a good chance that Wisconsin/Minnesota will be our Summer Adventure next year, so I'll be asking for advice!! I've already heard that Bayfield is lovely.

    I'm bet that was a great bike ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you to live in such a scenic area! You are killing my legs just writing about your biking. Forty miles to me means to the next town and back. Yowza! Great week on the vegetarian plan, too, Michele. You are probably the most consistent person I can think of. And that is very inspirational for me. Thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bayfield and Hayward are lovely areas. We haven't been there for years, but maybe we should put the area on our list of places to go. I have been wanting to get back into riding my bike, but this week has been terribly hot again, and next week is going to be the same. I don't do well in heat. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pix! I loved hearing about your 40 mile ride. I bet your hubby is bragging about you! I agree that you're going to be in great shape for your race. August is coming up, but you're right on track with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, you are amazing. 40 miles on the bike, that is awesome. I loved that you shared all those pictures. The area around your cabin is beautiful.
    You are very consistant, I wish you could teach me that. You are a teacher, maybe you can knock it into me when we see each other on the 28th. :o)
    Take care and have another very great and blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures!!!!!
    What an awesome week!!!
    My husband and I are looking for some bikes. Do you have any recommendations? I KNOW I need a good wide, padded seat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've made so much progress with your strength and endurance in your bike rides! It must feel amazing :)
    Great job this week! Good luck meeting all your goals for this coming week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great when working out becomes a pleasure instead of just an step towards reaching a goal? Glad you enjoyed the ride as much as you did. What a great payoff for all of your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you have come so far!! So proud of you!! Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome pictures of some awesome country, love Wisconsin! We used to vacation in the Hayward area on The Tiger Cat flower; great memories!

    -Patrick
    http://responsibility199.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete