Sunday, April 1, 2012

Weekly updates

Greetings Friendly Bloggers! I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful weekend. Here in the Upper Midwest we were treated to upper 60’s on Sunday. A brilliantly beautiful sunny day with a light breeze. Our trees in Minneapolis are beginning to leave out. There are some early blooming flowers showing off their beauty including magnolias.

First week of the Ready for Summer Challenge is under my belt. How did I do? Read on for my update.

1. Weight loss: My weight loss goal is to lose 7 pounds over this 10 week challenge. I have decided that I will post an official weighing only once a month for this challenge (April 22, May 22 and June 3, 2012). I am a slow loser. Weighing more than that is just frustrating to me. Besides, losing weight so only one part of my overall health and fitness goals fro this challenge.

2. NSV (Non-Scale Victory): Overall, ride that 60-mile ride is the NSV goal that I am aspiring to. This week I put in 52 miles on my trainer and or my road bike. My longest ride is now at 15 miles for this season.

3. Exercise: As I wrote above I put in 52 miles on my bike. I brought my bike in last week and had it serviced and new tires put on. Riding on a trainer wears out the rear tire. Because of my cycling aspirations I want to be confident that my tires are in the best shape. As far as my three targets for this goal: 1. Improving my strength and stamina. I started some lunges, squats, push-ups and other floor exercise. I meet with a physical therapist on Wednesday to design a program that will build my strength, stamina and endurance. Much more to report on this target for next week. 2. Cycling distance. My total of 52 miles is 10 miles more than the week before. I easily achieved my increase of 20% distance per week. 3. Increasing my speed: This past week was really about getting back in the saddle and out on the road. My average each day was around 12MPH. 4. Cross training: Did not do any cross training this week.

4. Nutrition: I stayed under 1500 calories on only 3/7 days this week, admittedly one of my worst weeks in a long time. However, I know exactly what I need to do to hit my 1500 calories on 6/7 days.

Targets for second week of this challenge: Maintain 50 or so miles per week of cycling. I am hoping to start my first repeated hill work which I will do tomorrow, weather permitting. I would like to increase my average speed to 12.5 miles per hour. Finally, I will be learning about a number of new exercises. My hope is that I work on these at least 3x per week. Nutrition: My target is to come in under 1500 calories on 6/7 days this coming week.

I would like to welcome my new followers, especially those of you who are participating in the Ready for Summer Challenge. Together we can make steady progress towards our health and fitness goals. And finally, I want to send my gratitude and thanks to my readers and followers for your supportive and encouraging comments. As I have said before, I never feel alone on this journey. I hope you all have a great week with solid progress toward your own weight loss and fitness goals. Stay strong and TTFN, Michele

17 comments:

  1. You had a great week. I love reading about your biking. I noticed your widget to track your rides and went and got one for myself. Fun! Happy biking. Be safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this time of year and the temperature, it helps me to get my butt off of the couch and go workout. Wow...you put in a lot of miles on your bike. Good luck this next week on meeting your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you continue to do well and meet all your goals for week two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep working at it and you will get there. I hope you have a great week 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a really positive week - especially with the gain in mileage. Hello baby! I am curious as to whether your trainer can simulate a hill. Is it your regular bike but on one of those contraptions that hold your rear wheel?

    You are so smart designing your training with a PT. So so.

    Nice weather braggin there Michele. It sleeted, rained and snowed here yesterday and 70 mile per hour winds due tonight. GOODY! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the week 1 goals! Lets kill week 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can understand only weighing in once a month - I find the numbers frustrating at times but can't stop myself from weighing in! Well done with your workouts this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking of you recently, wondering if I should try my trainer again:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are going to have an amazing challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your goals! And I am contemplating weighing in only once a month myself. Might save myself some frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always you're staying on track. I love hearing about your bike rides.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sure sounds like a positive week to me Michele. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck Michelle. Your goals are awesome. I wish you the best. Enjoy your bike riding and our terrific weather.
    Take care and God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES! Squats, lunges, plank, body weight exercises will help SO MUCH! I'm not much of a religious person... but I'm a zealot for what body weight exercises can do for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad that you are so positive. How about about Minnesota weather? It's certainly a boost. I am also only weighting once a month now. The scale hhas become too much of a trigger for eating off plan--whether the weigh-in is good for not so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your goals! You can so achieve them! Keep up the great work and stay focused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done you...

    More and more society is beginning to recognise something that, really, deep down inside, we know is true.

    Exercise and food - in reasonable (and manageable quantities) is the way forward.

    And YOU are proof.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete