Monday, April 9, 2012

Week 2 RFSC!

Happy Monday!

It was a beautiful spring week of weather in the 60's last week in the upper Midwest. Week two of the Ready for Summer Challenge is behind me. Are you ready for my report??

1. Weight loss: My weight loss goal is to lose 7 pounds. Nothing to report here because I will not weigh in until April 22.

2. NSV (Non-Scale Victory): Overall, ride that 60-mile ride is the NSV goal that I am aspiring to. Total bike mileage was 46. Last week I started training for my first bike event on June 2. I think many of you know that I use Endomondo as a way to keep track of my biking mileage and others stats per week. Each week since early March I have increased my outdoor biking as the graph below illustrates.
I did one day of repeated hills and two days of flats.

3. Exercise: As far as my three targets for this goal:

a. Improving my strength and stamina. I started hills and flats work as I mentioned above. Hills are still hard for me, thus I am incorporating hill work every week now in my cycling training. I was on spring break last week and spent most of the week at our cabin where there are many hills. I developed a two-mile “hills “course that I tackled 3 times on one ride. I got up and out of my seat 4 times for a total of 2 minutes riding up hills out of seat. here are a couple of pictures of soem of the hills that I tackled:

b. My second target is to work on my cycling distance. My total was 46 miles, with my longest ride at 15.27 and others of 10, 9 and 8 miles with 6/7 days on the bike. 

c. Increasing my speed: My average speed this week was 12.34 mph. I worked on flats in another area near our cabin where vehicles infrequently travel the road, yet is in top condition with little or know debris (rocks) on the road surface. I can really work on my speed here. I topped off at 17 mph with steady biking (15 miles) of 16-17 mph with the wind and 13 mph against the wind. Here are my flats:

d. Cross training: I cross-trained this week with two short walks of 2 miles each. I did new exercises under the tutelage of my physical therapist to strengthen my core (specifically the dead bug, the fire hydrant and the clam with one of those resistance bands) three times last week.

 4. Nutrition: I stayed under 1500 calories on 6/7 days. I granted myself permission to enjoy the treats of Easter on Sunday where I know I was over my calories by at least 1000 calories. We usually are the ones that fill the Easter eggs for the hunt by our 6 grandbabies. I bought some healthy fillers and some candy a couple of weeks ago. I am happy to report that I never once opened any of the bags until Saturday before Easter. I believe that was the first time in my entire life that the bags remained sealed until I was actually filling the eggs. I did not even have a bite of chocolate until Sunday morning.

I prepared all the meals on Easter for my family. Besides chocolate I had a hot cross bun  and scones that were simply delicious. Although the recipes call for very little sugar (1-2 Tbsp) they are made with butter and cream so definitely a treat for once in a while, like yesterday. I have two small Sees chocolate eggs left (each at 100 calories) that I will portion out over the next two days. So yes, I was over by 1000 calories or more yesterday. I am okay with that and here is why: I am learning to eat things that I enjoy in moderation and with some control. Part of that 1000 calories is truthfully popping a number of delicious jellybeans in my mouth more than once, but the truth is I was very deliberate about the foods that comprised that 1000 calories. I ate my scones slowly and savored every bite. Michael Pollan wrote in one of his books “the banquet is in the first bite.” For me that first bite banquet was enjoyed yesterday. My wait and perseverance were worth their delicious taste.

Finally, last week found me riding around the lakes with 5 of my young grandbabies (5-9 years). I rode a hybrid bike that easily pulls the two year old in the Burley when I am out with them.
Have a great week and stay strong! TTFN, Michele

19 comments:

  1. I love that you ride with the kiddos:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your week was great! Way to stay challenged on your cycling goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great report. I loved the details on your cycling, but my favorite of your many successes was your not opening the Easter candy until you were ready to fill the Easter baskets! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great rides this week! I did one (18k) and I'm still nursing my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize you were on spring break last week and at the lake. I know it was wonderful to get away. You're doing great on your cycling. Hills are hard for me, too. I used to not be afraid of standing up and tackling the hills, but now...I guess I'm afraid of wrecking and breaking something. Can't be afraid of everything, can we? What I most noticed about this post was the planning, control, and savoring of your special occasion foods. And that you can enjoy it, not apologize or whine about it afterward, and let it be a part of your lifestyle. That is the place I am in now, and it is so refreshing. I hope we can continue on this track forever. Thanks for your encouraging comment on my recent post. It is always good to hear from you. Have a great week, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about our wonderful spring weather here in Minnesota!! We just had our cabin opened up too--at least a month earlier than normal!

    I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday food. You have found a great way of losing weight, while normalizing your food and activities. I have learned a lot from you. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you make all your goals for week three. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing Michele. I love reading about all your plans, goals and moving. I'm so glad you had the grandbabies out with you and everyone together for Easter. Thanks for always stopping by. Blessings my friend. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Julie, you are amazing! Fantastic workout numbers, bike riding is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome work on the rides!! :)
    Good luck for week 3!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how even a little indulgence was well thought out. How many times do we end up the evening sick and thinking what just happened!

    I really like your training as well. Adding in the hills will make a big difference if you keep at it. It will make you faster on the flats as well.

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it seems that you have your work/fun balance well in hand. Your exercise notes were really interesting. Dead bug, fire hydrant and clam eh? LOL

    Your little ducklings made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michele, you are on fire! Not only are you amazingly focused and consistent with your new healthy lifestyle, you have a vibrant blog and are a good support to other bloggers. Keep it rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the progress you're making in your goals.

    Here's to making week 3 even better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing awesome!!! Great job with the training!! Love your pictures!!

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once I start in with the chocolate, I am a gonner :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really jealous of all the yummy sounding food that you got to eat last week! It sounds like you're doing awesome with your exercise though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've only done indoor cycling - but you are making the outside cycling look pretty darn good!

    Keep up the great work with your training!

    ReplyDelete