Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ready for summer challenge

It was a great weather week in Minnesota last week. I was able to get in over 20 miles of outdoor biking, plus about 10 miles on my trainer. I will take my road bike off my trainer this week and get it serviced for the season including new tires. I have not yet been on it outside instead riding my Dutch bike around town. My 10 week training for my first bike event on June 2, Diabetes Tour de Cure, starts on March 31. To celebrate my official training, I decided to take part in a challenge hosted by Maren (Thank-you Maren!) aptly named:
This challenge will go for 10 weeks, which is exactly the time that I will spend, training for my first bike event. Here are my goals:

1. Weight loss: My weight loss goals for this year are to get out of the obese category. I am now 14 pounds away from that goal at 174 pounds. 160 is the “overweight” category for my height. It would be foolish for me to think that I can lose 14 pounds in 10 weeks. My body does not respond that way. However, I believe it is realistic to work on half, or 7 pounds. So my weight loss goal is SEVEN pounds off.

2. NSV (Non-Scale Victory): To me the nonscale victory will be riding that 60 mile event in about 4 hours. I will get there by:

3. Exercise: I am coming off winter in better cycling shape overall. However, I know from my visit to the ortho that I need to improve my strength and stamina. I will be seeing a physical therapist to help me set targets for my deficits. I know that part of what I will be doing are core exercises including lunges and squats, to name just a couple. My first goal is to make these strengthening exercises part of my overall fitness regime and to build my stamina in doing sets of them. My second goal is to work on my cycling distance. I am following the Tour De Cure guidelines of increasing my mileage 20% each week. A big part of this second goal is to be a steady paced rider. Third: I would like to increase my speed in cycling. Currently I am about 12MPH on average, including hills. I want to increase my speed to 15 PMH on average, including hills. Fourth: Every week I want to cross train in something other than cycling. More than likely this will be walking and once a week stair climbing.

4. Nutrition: 1500 calories has been my target now for 21 months. Now that I will increase my cycling, I want to be sure that I am getting enough nutrition, especially protein to fuel my cycling. I am in the process of re-reading one of my favorite books on nutrition, What to Eat by Marion Nestle. I will continue logging my food.

What about you? What will you do to increase your health and fitness for summer??

Have a great week! Thanks for reading and TTFN,
Michele

19 comments:

  1. Hi this is Kody from SkinnySized.com I am excited to be joining you on the Ready for Summer Challenge the next 10 weeks. I am a new follower of your blog! If you have a chance stop by for a visit some time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the goals. Just started following your blog and so glad to be joining you in the Summer Challenge!! We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started riding my bicycle now that the weather is nice in addition to my usuals of Jazzercise 3 days a week and Step Aerobics 3 days a week. Are you going to do any upper body work? I find strengthening the upper body to make a more balanced appearance. Take care and go get 'em in the Challenge. You are already disciplined so there's no reason not to achieve your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got a new bike. Hubby is all into it, so I am jumping on the bike band wagon :)
    You look so beautiful in your August 2011 picture, I haven't been by in a while. With the new challenge I will be stopping by for more hello's :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart Marion Nestle! Her Food Politics book was amazing, will pick up What To Eat next chance I get. Awesome goals! Glad you've joined the challenge! Your cycling goals are inspiring me to give it another try (horrible first experience)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just hoping my darn calf heels so I can get on my bike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can so reach your goals!! That is awesome. I'm working toward a 1/2 marathon on June 9th. This is a stretch for me, but I'm enjoying the journey!! Keep up the great work my Friend!

    Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, I love the plan. I think you and I are in the "slow and steady wins the race" category. Although you've been a lot more steady than me. I'm looking forward to hearing about your bike race and supporting you in the cause. My summer training will be to really explore high intensity interval training, once the Big Climb is behind me (today!). I also can't wait to get back on the bike. This is the first weekend with rideable weather in Seattle, but I have youth baseball games galore. Hopefully I'll get out there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your goals Michelle! I think you have a great plan. Thank you for joining us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always have great yet reasonable goals!

    I am finding training for a marathon is just as stressful on my body than healthy! :)

    After the marathon in May, I will pull it in a bit by running three times a week, hiking and do more strength training as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want your consistency! I have the patience, but I need to just do it more often. Glad you're in the challenge. I was beginning to think it was going to be all young chicks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your goals are amazing and I know you'll get there. I'm so excited to see you training for your first big race!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And you have spoken so highly of that book, I ordered it today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate knowing I'm considered "obese". I like your goal to get out of that range-you're on your way!
    Thanks for sharing your journey! Good luck on our 10 week challenge! I look forward to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to this challenge with you, Michele. I'm ready to get out of the morbidly obese range - that's only 3 lbs away :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like a nutrition book written by a Nestle.

    I think 7 pounds is totally doable and doable in a good way. Like nothing crazy, but thru hard work and trimming the trimmings (boohoo). I am surprised to read that you consider stamina an issue for you. I read about all the XX skiing and biking and am in awe. I guess it is all relative and SHOULD be taking it as a sign of what I AM not what YOU ARE! LOL

    I am so excited for you. When you get down to merely overweight you are going to be one fit cookie! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You will rock this challenge. I know you will. I bet you can't wait to be back on your bike. AWESOME!!
    Good luck Michele. Take care and have an excellent and blessed weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Summer?
    I need to hit the season's sneeze alarm one more time...
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been struggling for years trying to build muscle. I have used every core workout program out there, used stimulants,

    ReplyDelete