Sunday, February 12, 2012

Update and cooking with Poblano chiles

Greetings! My first week back to academia went well. I managed to get in 23 miles on my trainer and today completed another 1.5 miles of cross-country skiing. So for my first week back I achieved my first goal, which was making time to exercise almost every day. I can now ride for 35 minutes at a steady pace on my trainer. I did track my calories every day, too. So, all in all a great week back to work and staying true to my getting healthy and fit goals. You all know that I have found my inner cook. Well, last week, I took my first every cooking class at one of my favorite kitchen gadget shops in Minneapolis: Kitchen Window. I took a class called Healthy Winter Foods: Latin Flavors. In this class we were introduced to a number of healthy, vegetarian recipes, including corn and green chili chowder that I made tonight. Fantastic! I can now say that I can roast my own Poblano chiles, which are a main ingredient to the delicious chowder. The woman who taught the class, Anna Dvorak, is a certified nutrition and weight loss counselor. I did not know that when I signed up, but her philosophy of healthy easing and good health permeated everything she taught us about cooking. I still have a number of other recipes to try out from Anna and promise I will post pictures soon. I treated myself to my first ever “chef’s knife.” I never knew that chopping veggies was supposed to be THAT easy! Here is to a great week to all of you and Happy Valentine's, too! Stay strong in your own journey to be fit and healthy! TTFN, Michele

14 comments:

  1. Michele, congrats on a successful re-entry to the your job. And more so, I'm impressed and happy for you that you kept up your eating discipline and for all the miles on the trainer. Wow! Big week for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking, training, back to work... Congrats on the training miles, staying on track, and being able to ride for 35 minutes now! You are becoming a "Venus" of the bike! Come August let's ride, my friend. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear from you again and learn that getting back at it was easy. I would love to take a cooking class and may just do that after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see your update - thought about you several times last week. May have to splurge and buy a chef's knife. With Rheumatoid Disease that effect my hands, chopping is one of those difficult tasks for me. I normally resort to a mini-chopper which doesn't always chop the way I need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are continuing to find your center in all of this, way to be proactive with getting new things, taking a class and just moving forward. Always. Moving. Forward. Sounds like a good plan to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear from you. You sound happy and healthy. The cooking class sounds great and I admire your determination to stay on track with your trainer. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice reentry to earth! :). It would be so easy to get lost in getting back in the saddle for most. You are off to a great start. Sound like the trainer is paying off for you! Couple more months to that payoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. POBLANO - my fave!
    Glad al is well.....
    Happy Valentines Day to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on keeping it all together, kudos to you!
    Happy Valentines Day. I hope this week is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing! I love how you fit so much into your day! The cooking class sounds awesome! Never heard of the chowder before. Sounds yummy!

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michele, you're on a roll. I'm glad things are going so well for you. The cooking class sounds fun. I love to cook, but I've never been to a cooking class. You've inspired me. BTW, loved the iced-oak leaf picture in a recent blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got to grandma age with no chef's knife? I shall ponder that plenty.

    Green chili chowder sounds interesting and perfect for winter.

    I am so happy for you that your transition back to workaday is going so well and that you have found a way to achieve balance. I would think it would be especially hard the first month or so when you are very busy restarting work engines.

    I heart poblanos. I wished I hearted exercise as much as poblanos. I would be a lot healthier. Heart healthier. ~ Lordy be I need to get some sleep. Sheesh~!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you're first week was so sucessful. YEAH!!! Michele, I am so proud of you!!
    A cooking class sounds awesome. I do wish we had something like that.
    Take care Michele. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So good to hear from you, and it sounds like your cooking class is great!

    ReplyDelete