Saturday, February 25, 2012

Uncovering my discerning palette

Happy Saturday!

Hubby and I recently celebrated our anniversary. For that occasion we went to a local restaurant with Latin fusion food. The appetizer (best guacamole I ever had and I am from California!) and the dessert (lemon pie, which we split) were luscious and delicious. The entrees were a wonderful mix of seeming healthiness: including grilled salmon and veggies. They looked scrumptious, but, with one bite, I knew that a ridiculous amount of salt was added which obscured the flavors and subtracted tremendously from the healthy goodness they promised. Disappointing. Neither of us finished our entrees. Like I said, the dessert and the appetizers were divine. What I learned from this little outing is that I have developed a discerning palette. Yep, I can cook, and do so frequently. What I choose to cook is usually absent of salt and made with the freshest ingredients. Before I started my trek to being healthy and foot, I doubt I would have noticed the abundance of salt. I would have gobbled up the food and licked my plate, too! But no more. Now, I am picky, not about the kinds and types of foods I eat like a child, but picky in the sense that I want my food prepared so that they remain healthy and the mix of ingredients enhances the flavors and not detracts. I plan to communicate my disappointment to that restaurant and ask them why the salt?!?!?!

In case you were wondering, yes, I just had another great week of moving forward to better health. Yes, I ate my anniversary dinner, but I learned 10 months ago how to prepare for such an event: budget my calories accordingly. Sure I ate a little more than my allotted 1500 calories a day, but not much. Actually, planning is my new best friend when it comes to healthy living and eating. You all know that I am back to work as an academic. I make my lunch every day.  Many days I get a start on dinner by prepping the lettuce for our almost daily salads at the same time. I am in the kitchen already, so cutting and washing lettuce is just a snap. When I come home starving I just open the fridge, toss in a few other ingredients (like beans, shredded carrots, and some onions), grab a plate and I have something to get me through until hubby and I sit down for dinner. Easy. Really. It is.

In case you were wondering what else I was up to last week: I cross-country skied 9 miles, walked 4 and biked for 13 miles last week. 3/7 days I spent 30 minutes on exercise, with 2/7 days over 60 minutes. Not bad for a working girl! Enjoy a few pictures of my tracks in our lovely winter landscape.




A map of my 3.75 route today!
Finally thanks for reading. And new followers, thanks for coming along and sharing with me in this getting healthy thing. You all make me aware daily that I am not alone. Have a great week! Stay strong and TTFN, Michele

17 comments:

  1. I still admire you for your disciplin. You are just doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary. May you have many happy and healthy years ahead together!

    I am in awe of your exercise regime. I gal CAN have it all... if she sets mind and skis to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at being at peace with food and eating. You know the weight will come off and are in so big stressing, compulsive, obsessive hurry. You are enjoying the trip. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had the same experience at a local restaurant this week. It was the soup hubby ordered that we had not had in quite some time. One taste and that was it for me. Too much salt!

    So glad the transition back into a work routine seems to be going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eating out can be very challenging. You are doing great. One of my favorite bloggers, Jody just had a post about it http://truth2beingfit.com/2012/02/22/how-to-eat-out.aspx but you don't seem to need much help here.

    I just came back from snow and I miss it already. Your pictures are not helping! I want to go back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary, Michele! I understand what you are saying about the salt--I'm not a "heavy on the salt" person either. In fact, I usually only add pepper to my food in restaurants. I love the way you navigate your food at home and in restaurants. You have truly made a fantastic transition toward good health. I love your photos--especially the one on the right side of your blog--it glows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michele, you continue to "crush it", as the kids say. I'm impressed how you've continued your habits since your sabbatical ended. And yes, when I'm doing a great job with eating fresh foods for a while, I definitely notice high salt foods - yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing awesome!!! Keep it up my Friend!

    Stay focused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary!!

    I absolutely adore your new profile pic, love that smile and you are just a glowing beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary Michele. You are doing so well in getting to the healthy, most awesome Michele. Keep it up. Take car and have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a great job you're doing with the skiing. We're losing the snow fast, hope yoyur stays a while so you can keep that up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! And I totally agree. I'm the same way with my tastes these days. Glad you had such a nice anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary - you are making - have made - such awesome progress... You are really the real deal. You shine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary!!! You are a true inspiration!! All the best Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You crazy busy working gal - I love that you have incorporated so much fun and exciting activities into your workouts!!! I sort of wish we had snow here (yes, sort of) so that I too can participate in the cross country flair. Missing all my blog friends, catching up is always a good motivational push - have a GRAND weekend!!

    MO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cross country skiing sounds really fun. There isn't enough flat land here to do it, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete