Sunday, January 15, 2012

Weekend highlights and getting back in the game

Just coming off a wonderful weekend with lots to share with all of you.  

Sewing weekend: One of my daughters, two daughters in law and two granddaughters and I just finished our inaugural sewing weekend. This was a time for us to share in each other’s company while making a few simple clothing items with a little guidance from me. Besides passing on some of my sewing skills, I cooked up a storm this weekend including delicious salad and soups, but also some other wonderful foods including crusty breads and cinnamon rolls.
First sewing weekend!




Beautiful winter weather: It was a great weekend to get outside and enjoy the winter weather.  As you can see the lake was frozen which made for some great winter walking, skating and cross country skiing. We all tried out cross-country skiing and to everyone’s surprise, it was a good work out and a lot of fun. I will not say any of us are ready for the Olympic trials, but our spirits were high.
My daughter, Julianna and our dog Giovanni
Autumn and Ellery (7)
Ellery
My first time on skiies

Nani (8)

Getting back in the game: It is time for me to get back in the game. I gave myself permission to take a break from my serious focus on getting healthier and fit for the past few weeks. Now that the holidays are over and my last conference travel is also behind me, it is time to start moving forward again. As I wrote above, I have cooked up a storm in the last weeks and it was not all healthy cooking. Time to get back in the game. I needed a break and do not regret the one I took. But, I end my break being up five pounds and am putting the breaks on. Back to tracking my food and staying around 1500 calories a day. For this week, I will set some walking targets (7.5 miles for the week) and at least 2 more cross country ski work outs. I can no longer bike outdoors, however, I am going to try out the trainer below at my local bike store as an alternative to outdoor biking for the winter season. From the research I have done online and with other users (thanks, Karen), I believe I will be able to hook up my road bike and continue to get a decent bike workout indoors with that device.
The information on this trainer (CycleOps' Fluid2 Trainer) states that it has a smooth "Power Band" technology that allows for distinct resistance-level changes with the large flywheel delivering a realistic road feel. It is not my first choice for exercise, but with winter in Minnesota fully upon us, real road biking is just not in the cards for me for obvious safety reasons. Besides,  I would like to be ready to reach a higher level of biking come summer. In addition,  I am hoping to do two road events this year, the Tour de Cure on June 2 and more than likely the Venus de Miles on August 26. So this trainer might be a great way for me to keep in and move forward in my biking shape. I will keep you posted as to what I think about this tool.

So, we are now starting the third week of 2012 and I am finally jumping back in. How about you? How are you doing in your own getting healthier targets for 2012??  Have a great week and stay strong! TTFN, Michele


13 comments:

  1. Oh Michele, that trainer had me drooling till I googled it and saw that it cost nearly as much as my bike. Don't know how I could sneak that item past my husband.

    On another note, the TAG game continues and I have tagged all of the people I am following, including you. Stop by my blog when you get a chance and see if you feel up to participating.

    I think I am doing pretty well with my own "getting healthier for 2012" program. I have not yet started to lose the extra pounds I gained back during my infirmity, but through diligent use of my massage equipment, I am almost completely out of pain. Tomorrow AM I'm having my stress test to see what ails these crappy lungs. Hopefully, all I need is a different way to treat my asthma. Once that is fixed, I should be up and running toward slimness again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing weekend sounds like fun! I might get some projects done if I hosted a sewing party!

    I have a trainer as well. My isn't too fancy, but it is nice to hop on and ride and not freeze!

    Keep up the healthy habits!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quilt retreats and your sewing weekend with family sounds wonderful to me. What a great way to bond and make memories while learning something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your family has its share of drama just like everyone else's, but I love the pictures you post as they always seem to be enjoying the company of each other and healthy activity. Yes, even sewing weekends qualify as healthy activity!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Looks like everyone had a great time. I just got back from Austin and I too am back to reality!

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you read Lori's blog? (findingradiance.com) She uses a bike trainer, and then the following summer had TONS of flat tires. Something about using them on the bike trainer. So this year I guess they just changed out the tires for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michele, I haven't ridden on a trainer before. Really should consider it. Keep us posted on how you like it.

    Had our first "snow" in Seattle yesterday. You'd laugh. About an inch. Not much on the roads. But looks good on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a lot of daughters and it's great when my wife and they get together for a project. They have even done it via Skype and had a lot of fun.

    Our snow pack is terrible so far this year. I could snow shoe if I wanted to drive a bit but I have plenty of running to keep me busy. We are supposed to have a snowy week. We'll see what happens.

    Great job on getting back at it. Keep us posted on how your cross country skiing goes. It is great exercise and a fun way to get a workout in in the winter. Like snow shoeing it keeps you toasty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sewing weekend sounds delightful, Michele. I love creative weekends with my family and from your pictures, it looks like everyone had a good time. I think you'll like your inside trainer. My niece (who did Venus de Miles last year) uses her trainer a lot and it helped her handily complete the Venus - 70+ miles. My nephew uses his trainer at night when he gets home too late to ride outdoors and has lost 20 pounds without trying - and he didn't need to lose weight. I'll be anxious to hear what you think about this trainer and if you find it helfpul. I'm on target with my goals, but until I get a bike, I have to use the stationary bike at the gym! Cross-country skiing IS a workout. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did I tell you that I got a great idea from our back and forth about this? I was told that biking is better as a way to ease back into cardio than elliptical or treadmill. So, much as I didn't like that darn thing, I'm going to have my husband help me set it up with my bike so I can do some gradual cardio! Thanks for making me think of that; I'd never have ever remembered that darn thing without you.

    P.S. I had the same thought as you - someday I see us riding those fabulous Minneapolis trails together:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always want to try cross country skiing...looks like fun and is supposed to be an excellent form of exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know absolutely nothing about sewing. Sometimes I really wish I did.But.....WHEN??? Sigh.......I love the pics and I think I might like cross country skiing. I didn't like skiing the 2 times I went. But then I was REALLY out of shape and REALLY overweight. My how my life has changed. I too have been slow to get started, but I woke up today really motivated. Hoping it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cross country skiing is awesome. I love it and you know what, I have the ski's right here by the back door, I'm going to use them this week. I can even put Joss in the sled and we can go. Thank you for reminding me and that will be such great added exercise since I too have got to get my head back into the game.
    I am so glad you guys had a great time this weekend. YEAH!!!
    Good luck my friend and have an awesome and blessed week.

    ReplyDelete