Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Trainer Tuesday!

Happy Tuesday!
I bought a trainer today! No, not a personal trainer!
A cycling or bike trainer. Here is Millie's rear wheel clamped in (thanks, spouse!).
It is a CycleOps' Fluid 2 Trainer. 
The trainer elevates the bike a couple of inches which is
enough to make it hard for this shorty to get on. So, summon the little red step stool!
Right now I have her in my living room, but, 
I have been told that even though I am an empty nester,
we will be relocated to the "spare" bedroom.
In case you are wondering, I did my first 22 minute ride. Because my bike frame is small I can not adjust the resistance really low, which makes for a good work out (the more resistance the better the work out, right?). The beauty of this trainer is that I can adjust my work out to include all my normal bike gears as I gain stamina working through the resistance. So, I am not cycling outdoors in the winter in Minnesota, but I am cycling!! Stay tuned to see how I grow into this trainer! Stay strong and TTFN, Michele

13 comments:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with all indoor exercise devices: treadmills, rowers, bike trainers. I get soooo bored. Thank goodness for laptops with internet access to TED lectures of Netflix movies. :)
    Enjoy your rides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele - let me give you a tip about the trainer before you get too far into it. Get a spare junk/cheap tire to put on the back when using it on the trainer. Over the winter, it will square the tire and cause problems when you take it out on the road. I learned that the hard way and got so many flats because the tire was letting in debris from the flattening. We went through so many tubes! Now I have an old tire that goes on the bike for the winter and I have my super puncture resistant tire that I put on in the spring when the bike goes outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun :D
    Pretty clever idea really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a really good idea. I would love to have a bike like this. It's just so unfortunate, that we have so many mountains here. I hate to ride my bike, when it always goes uphill. I wish you a lot of fun with your new bike. Does it have a name? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do have to improvise in the northern climates, don't we. This is a great idea and speaks of your commitment! I have thought about doing this, but never took the step. Good for you! Great advice from Lori. I didn't know about that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! And while as a fellow empty nester I see no need to move that stuff out of sight, I would suggest you move it off that beautiful rug or get a mat for underneath. (CycleOps makes them but you could use any exercise mat.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, you got it all set up and already got a ride in. Good job!

    I have to use a step stool to get on my bike too.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool gadget. Love to see you so consistent. It is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks pretty awesome!! Keep up the great work my Friend!!

    Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cool Michele. What a way to get your bike ridings in. YEAH!!!
    Hope you are staying warm. Take care and God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE that trainer! I got mine on craigs list...
    some dumb yuppie didn't know what they were parting with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great you don't have to lose all that you gained biking this past year. You will be ready to fly down the path when the warm weather returns.

    ReplyDelete