Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ruminations at the end of 2011!

Greetings blogger friends on this the last day of 2011! My family and I enjoyed a remarkable Christmas. First of all we had SNOW in NW WI (!!) and cold enough temperatures to freeze the lake into ice unlike most other geographic locations in the upper Midwest. Here are a few pictures of Christmas at the cabin:








That is Hann
(4.5 years) putting the star on the top
Table ready for 18 family members!








How about some ice fishing?
Hubby making our first ever ice skating rink by hand of course!


Animal prints
Wind swept snow (below).
Well, it was not all a perfect Christmas. Our well pump sprung a leek (see that hole in the pipe right center) at 11:30 (!!) pm on December 23. We are so grateful that Dave,  our well guy,  made it a priority to be at our house on Christmas Eve morning at 10:30 am. He drove 55 miles to get here, too. Thank-you, Dave!
We have a new pump now that should last for MANY Christmases to come!


Now: A few words of rumination on this the last day of 2011. My goals and themes for 2011: balance, downsizing (not just physically) and organization. These ruminations will be about downsizing that refers to physical health. On January 1, 2011 I laid out several goals:

First goal: Be at 170 by the middle of April 2011.
If you have been following my blog, you know I did not make this goal. On Christmas Eve I was still at 173. Being at 170 by April was just not realistic for me and where I am in my life metabolism wise. I lost 18 pounds this year for a total (you all know this already) of 40 pounds off. As I make my 2012 goals, I will keep in mind that I basically lose about . 5 pounds a week.

Second goal: Keep up my fitness level and increase the rigor of my regime. Yes. Resounding YES. I have added distance and speed to my cycling regime, I jogged up thousands of stairs across the year and increased my time and distance for walking. I have never felt so physically fit as I am now, even though I know I have a ways to go.

Third goal:
Track miles walked and biked for the year.
Yes. I walked at least 442 miles this year. I did not always carry my pedometer, that is why it is “at least.” (So, Julie, I made our walking challenge! My biking total stands at 1583 miles. I do not know how many stairs I climbed, but it is about 5, 000.

Fourth goal: I would also like to start the Couch to 5km by February 19. No, I did not even start. I decided that I would like to be down around 160 before I start to actually run. It is just too hard on my body.

I feel very good about the progress I made on getting healthy and where I am heading on this last day of 2011. It was SO good to be “downsized” for the holidays. Next post will be about my healthy and fit themes and goals for 2012.


To all of you: Happy New Year! May this new year see you exceed your own goals for health and fitness. TTFN and thanks for stopping by, Michele

23 comments:

  1. What a fabulous Christmas! The pictures are just wonderful! It's always nice to hear of those who come to our rescue- hats off to Dave!

    Happy New Year to y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your cabin pics, and glad you got to have your family there for Christmas. You have had a great year in the health and exercise areas, Michele. You have been and still are an inspiration for me. I hope we both continue to be losers in 2012. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU are awesome ! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done so well this year, and I love following you on your blog. The cabin photos look so warm and inviting. Best in 2012 to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you the best for 2012...can't wait to keep reaching goals with you!!!! Thanks for sharing your Chirstmas with us, too!

    MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year! Glad your pump got fixed!!

    Looking forward to see what you will accomplish in 2012! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Michele. You did awesome this year, totally awesome. I so glad you made your goals, all of them. Running will come when you're ready. It took me 2 years to get going and I'm just starting to really get it.
    Take care Michele and do have a Happy new Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came by to say HI and wish you all the best for this new year. You had a very beautiful christmas tree!!! Wow!
    Hope, you are enjoying the new year, with new goals and new plans for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! Wish I was there to skate on the new rink!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The happiest new year to you and yours! I love picture blogs! Thanks so much for sharing. Ice fishing and an ice rink! Now that is something I don't see or even think about here in California!
    You have some awesome goals and will be here to root you on! It is going to be the best year ever!
    MER

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good times and good goals heppening here; way cool!

    Think more, weigh less!

    Happy New Year!

    -Patrick
    Moved my blog to>
    http://responsibility199.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year Michele. Hope 2012 is your best year ever!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michele, you had a truly great year!!! I am in awe of your mileage and glad you tackled the stairs this. Skating on the pond looks like so much fun! Let's have a great 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michele it was a pleasure finding your blog and following your realistic approach to being healthly. It was a great year and great progress for you. Thanks for all the encouragement you have passed my way!

    Here's to a successful 2012 for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for visiting my blog, and for the encouragement! The summary of your goals for 2011 were great!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. may this year result in an even more amazing YEAR IN REVIEW post next year.

    xo

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had a GREEN CHristmas here in Canada! Unusual for sure. But we have snow now - after a melt over the past couple of days, it's cold again and wintery. I'd rather get it overwith during the winter months - rather than deal w/ snowstorms in April...or May....
    HAPPY NEW YEAR! Love the pics!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by. My life is so busy that I have to do FlyLady. I have done it for 3 or 4 years and love it. Wish I had known about it when my daughter was growing up. Hubby helps with it too. Have a great on plan day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had a fabulous year!! Way to go. I know you will rock 2012!!

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had a very good year in 2011 and I bet 2012 will be even better. I loved seeing your Christmas pictures and look forward to spending some blogging time with you in this New Year and celebrating yet more goals achieved by this time next year!

    ReplyDelete