Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sticking with it!

Greetings Fellow Bloggers and Readers!
Another fabulous fall week behind us and another great one just getting started! With temperatures in the 40s and 50s nearly everyday, cycling is still an option for me even as we move into the second full week of November. Dressing in layers really helps guard against the cold. It is the wind that I am trying to tame. Not just the wind that is blowing around, but the wind that I create as I cycle. I have not found just the right outer layer to keep me free of the effects of wind, but am searching. Kind of a fun challenge for me.

Give Yourself Your Best Gift and Christmas Dress Challenge updates:
Track my food intake daily: Yes. Done all 7 days. Stick to under 1500 calories on average a day: My average was a little over 1500. I am happy with that total and here is why. Those of you who have been following for a while know that I include all calories in my daily totals. It is about accountability for one. But, it is also about the idea of building in some of the foods that I enjoy into my getting healthy journey. Halloween was Monday. I did not have any candy until that day. I indulged in 4 “fun size” candies (Butterfingers if you are wondering) for a total calories of 332. On top of that I had two small pumpkin muffins at 150 each. My grand total for eating Halloweeny foods was: 632 calories. I planned to enjoy a few foods on Halloween and I did just that. I did not binge and I did not overeat. As a matter of fact I think those few items are remarkably normal for someone like me. And that is what I am trying to do. Enjoy a few foods that are not my usually fare once in a while. Done. No regrets.

Exercise, rigorously, at least 8 hours per week: I exercised everyday this past week. My biking mileage is at 58, and I once again climbed those stairs 12 times or 1,176 stair steps altogether. While I am happy with what I did, I found through WB MD a “how to” on seven other exercises that will help me strengthen my core and other parts of my body.

No weigh in this week.

Plan for eating for the big holidays: see above. Check.

Continue to learn about what works best for me in this journey to better health, specifically losing and maintaining weight loss as we age and our metabolism slows down: Yes. I am reading. I am learning, too. Aging and the inevitable process of menopause, too, definitely change our metabolisms. Many of you may know Dr. Christiane Northrop from Oprah’s show. I am reading her book, the Wisdom of Menopause. Definitely an illuminating read for both women and men.

Support and encourage other weight loss bloggers: Yes. I continue to do this.

All of the above helps me to meet my target for the Christmas Dress Challenge. I remain focused and moving forward.

Finally, a couple of pictures from this week. The first, Lake Harriett in Minneapolis on a foggy cycling morning. The last, my walking companion, Giovanni.



Thank-you all for sharing part of your day with me, especially my new followers. It takes a village to do what we are doing. Have a great week. TTFN, Michele

24 comments:

  1. Haven't we had a gorgeous fall here in Minnesota. I love your sensible approach to losing weight. I know you will make it to your goal, because it is very close to what most of us would call "normal eating."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the same philosophy as mine of eating the things you love, but in moderation. However, you are miles ahead of me in the regular exercise category. I hope to get back there soon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele, you're doing great. No weigh in? I hope you're seeing results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are being very wise!
    The Wisdom Of Menopause has been my "bible" these past few years.....I have learnt a lot from her. Have you tried any of the supplements she suggests?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing wonderfully! It's very inspiring to see that you are tracking everything so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are still going strong, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you stay strong week after week after week?! This is so inspiring for me! Stay strong, even as the dark winter is coming. You are just doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Michele. Here we are week two in November and it is still amazing. I love it. We have gotten out just about every day to enjoy it. You are doing wonderfully and I love that you are adding the real stuff to the everyday stuff to just learn. I'm doing the same, a bit here and there. I did over induldge this weekend so am feeling it today. Learning.
    Have a great week. Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michele,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog with some great suggestions. I will watch the movie you suggested. It sounds great! I have read "Sarah's Key," and it was wonderful. I am now reading DeRosnay's other book set in France, "A Secret Kept." It is also one I can't put down. Enjoy another beautiful Minnesota fall day. It may come to an end soon, but hasn't it been grand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing so well! Being slightly over calorie goal during a holiday week is acceptable and understandable, and with the activity you get and how careful you are all the other times it won't have a negative effect on your goal! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're doing great! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are doing good. I enjoy reading your blog. Hang in there and you will reach your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your committment, your energy and drive each week!!! Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see you in that Christmas Dress!!!

    Staying MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great control and accountability, Michelle. The ways you share your week makes it easy for everyone to relate to you and your journey. I bet your students will be quite eager to have you back in the classroom sharing your upbeat, positive energy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Week after week of great reports Michelle! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I suppose we deal with wind no matter what part of the country we live in - it's usually what drives me off my bike first. You are such an encouragement to me with your steady diligence and patience with slow loss. I'm working on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 58 miles? Awesome! You continue to do so well and inspire so many! Thanks! Noticing that it's about time for some more recent pics on your sidebar there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Michele, you are such an inspiration. Thank you for always posting such thought provoking and positive comments on my blog. You always make me think that YES, I can turn this thing around!
    I love the fact that you are still biking in the cold! Have you heard of Cuddleduds? They are lightweight layers you can wear that will keep you warm without the bulk! Great for any winter activity.
    I like your ideas around planning for the holidays and I have been giving that some thought too - holidays are no longer days for me but month long celebrations and that is where I get into trouble. I like how you plan for a few treats on THAT DAY to avoid feeling deprived. The rest of your days are healthy living. I commend you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love your positive attitude and your honesty!

    It's gotten back to warm here and I hate it! It makes walking way less enjoyable. But I continue on! The mornings are good though- 40s and 50s. It's the afternoons that are in the high 70s. Someone forgot to tell Mother Nature that it's November!

    ReplyDelete
  20. good gosh you are so so right
    it seems to take a village for EVERYTHING IN MY LIFE :)
    and I dont mind.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the whole way you blog - the lay out - the story - the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are doing awesome! Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I appreciate your insight so much - probably because I always agree with everything you say. ;) Glad you are still sticking to it and enjoying the process! THanks for stopping by my new blog again. It really meant a lot. :) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have an award waiting for you on my blog. See post labeled "My Very First Time"

    ReplyDelete