Sunday, November 13, 2011

Give Yourself a gift for Today!!

Blue Shield/Blue Cross of Minnesota's current ad campaign is called Today is the Day We Stop Making Excuses. The TV ad follows a group of overweight/obese people adding more food to their plates at a buffet line or laying on the couch holding a remote with empty food dishes scattered around them. Each of the actors are singing revised lyrics of Tomorrow (think Annie, the musical) about how their weight loss and getting fit efforts will wait until Tomorrow. It is a clever musical ploy to get people thinking about their health. I love their approach and I am guessing similar ads may be found in other geographic markets across the country.

It is no secret to any of you reading this blog, that obesity is a significant health issue in the US. Twenty three percent of us are obese with 39 per cent of us overweight. The prevalence of heavy drinkers, smokers and those living in poverty are only 6%, 19% and 14% respectively. It is easy to put off taking care of ourselves because the effects of being overweight/obese do not really surface for 10-30 years. I think many of you know the risk factors for obesity and being overweight so I will not go into more details here.

Instead, how about we renew our commitment to make tomorrow today for our health?? We all know that the holidays are here. If you are like me, in years past you have put off to the holidays are over to take care of yourself. Many of you may be even tempted now to put a hold on your emerging healthy habits, especially if you have waffled in your efforts. This year: let’s make tomorrow today. Let’s give ourselves our best gift (Thrice Blessed) by caring for ourselves in sensible and responsible ways. Let’s not let another holiday season go by without caring for our health and fitness. Sure it is not easy at times and there is no magic just: eat less, move more. Plus, there will be all those wonderful holidays foods. But, you can do it. You can find a way to plan to eat some foods you like AND continue on your health and fitness journey. If I can, you can!!

Challenge updates: Give Yourself Your Best Gift and Christmas Dress Challenges

I tracked food again 7/7 days, coming in about 1500 calories every day. I exercised 6/7 days for a over 7 hours this week; with a cycling total of 53 miles, walking 6.5 miles and went up and down the stairs twice (588 steps). All of those efforts paid off, because I am down TWO pounds to a new low of 174.5! I checked in with all challenge bloggers spreading some love. I am reading more about out changing metabolism as we age and weight loss. In sum, I am giving myself the best gift every day: caring for myself. All my efforts will get me into that pretty little red dress and soon!

Remember: make tomorrow TODAY! Have a great start to your week. TTFN,
Michele

20 comments:

  1. Wow, what a week you have had! Well done Michele!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! And excellent post about holiday eating and starting TODAY. I agree. There is no reason to put it off until after the holidays, or even until tomorrow. We can start now, with the next bite we put into our mouths, to make healthier choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, Michele!!!
    I am definitely a 'tomorrow' person and it takes a lot of effort for me to make today count. I am working on it though, and working, and working :)
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How ironic, Michele! We had a drama team presentation in church this morning about the importance of not putting off until tomorrow opportunities that present themselves today! Must be a message I was intended to hear since I've gotten a double whammy! Thanks! And congrats on the two pounds. You are moving right on down that scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post and great results.

    Monday is my favorite tomorrow. I always have thought to myself, "I'll start Monday." that would stretch out for weeks and months. Thanks for a great reminder that today is when we get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing so great Michele. Today is the day to take care of ourselves. If we don't but no one else will. Take care and havea blessed week. Thanks for all your kind words and support this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post - I made tomorrow, today and I am feeling good. Even took the time to have a relaxing bubble bath, totally renewed my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and good job on a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Michele, wanted to let you know that I reference this post in MY post this morning. It really did mean a great deal to me! Have a great day and don't put anything off!! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job Michele. You always have the most poignant posts - I even mentioned you in my post today because you really do make me think - even if I am not always quick to act on it! LOL....but, in all honesty, I have been thinking about the holidays too - and it is so easy to say, oh, I;ll wait until AFTER Christmas or wait until Jan 1st. But I think this year, I won't do that. I will do all that I can to make today count towards getting healthier - and all the days after that. I'm not perfect,but I am inspired - so thanks again for reminding us all what this journey is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every moment is a chance to start again!
    Love it!

    Can't sign in for some reason..
    It's me Anne H
    Carb Tripper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this Michele!! Have a wonderful week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. Blogging around and the challenge has made me not really fear the holidays as temptation. It is more an affirmation that I will not abuse the festive get togethers. I will see the holidays for holidays and NOT food fests. LOL. OMG does that sound like some prayer...sorry but I will survive it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh congrats on the weight loss and all the exercising. Right on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job Michele. Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good stuff, Michele. I can't tell you how many tomorrows I've had. But right now I'm in "today" mode.

    Looks like you've got a following going here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a good post. Today should always be our tomorrows - great way for me to remember that making myself healthy is always important today, tomorrow and everyday!!!

    Staying MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete