Saturday, October 8, 2011

Picture time and challenge updates

It was a great, great week last week for me and our lovely state of Minnesota! First our weather was just terrific! 70-80 degree every day. Sure, it was windy, but look at our beautiful fall colors.



All of the pictures above were taken on a 20-mile ride around lakes and through ravines in Minneapolis on Millie, my road bike.
But the fall beauty does not stop there. Here is a view from my deck. That little head in the lower right corner is a certain two year old GB boy. We were having lunch and I just could not believe the majestic yellow surrounding us.
You may have heard about this:



I was lucky enough to attend my first WNBA Finals when the Lynx were at home. Seimone Augusta (at the line) and Maya Moore (post game on scoreboard) are two women who we will all hear from for years to come. Seimone earned MVP for the Finals and Maya is the Rookie of the year. From all I read and hear they are terrific women, role models and athletes to boot. What a treat for all of us to have this team make Minnesota home.

Now onto.....Challenge Updates!!
Let me begin my updates with:
My statement:
I plan to give myself a gift this holiday season. It is the gift of commitment to continue to move forward toward good health and renewed fitness by eating less and moving more. At the end of the season, my gift will be not only quantifiable in terms of pounds lost and miles cycled or walked, but will be the feeling of satisfaction and pride in my continued efforts to regain my health, even during the holiday season. To achieve my gift, I plan to adhere to the following action goals:

1. Track my food intake daily: I did this 7/7 days. If I do say so myself: I rocked this action point (again)every day!

2. Stick to under 1500 calories on average a day: I did not stay below 1500, I actually was above most days with an averagof 1650 per day.

3. Exercise, rigorously, at least 8 hours per week: I exercised again over 10 hours this week. I cycled 102 miles, walked 6 and even went up and down the stairs twice.

4. Weigh in every two weeks: I weigh in only every two weeks, so no weigh in to report.

5. Plan for eating for the big holidays and other events during this challenge, including football games, Halloween, concerts, Thanksgiving and of course Christmas: I could have done better here. I was at two major sports events this week. I had my usual popcorn and diet soda, brought sliced apples, but also had (actually shared it) an ice cream on both days.

6. Continue to learn about what works best for me in this journey to better health, specifically losing and maintaining weight loss as we age and our metabolism slows down: Okay, still did not get to this....

7. Support and encourage other weight loss bloggers (including some butt kicking as needed): I checked in with most people on the challenges. Looks to me there are a whole bunch of folks finding success. Wahoo!!
In sum, I think I am doing great for the Christmas Dress Challenge, too. I am going to take Thursday's Child's suggestion and just try the dress on once a month.The fall challenge (next) will also make that little red dress a reality.



My goals for this challenge are:

1. To aspire to 300 miles of cycling in October. I am shooting for 26/31 days on the bike. How did I do: Great! I rode 7/7 days with a total mileage of 102.

2. Walking: I am going to strive for 10 days of walking and a total mileage of 35 miles walked. How did I do: Great! Walked 2 days for a total of 6 miles. I also climbed that set of stairs I did with the June Boom (49 steps) twice.

Now I am off to check on all of you! Thanks for reading. Stay strong and TTFN! Michele

19 comments:

  1. Amazing Michele. And you can do it, Brads challenge. I never really thought that I would learn to run, I would learn to love it. But I do Michele. It is so cool to get out there and move my butt when a year ago I barely could go telephone pole to telephone pole. You can do it Michele.
    Keep up the great work Michele. I am very proud of all that you are doing, all you are teaching and so much more.
    Take care and have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the Lynx! We've had some success with the Storm here - about the only sports success we've had in Seattle lately. Good luck with your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Love the fall pics!! Biking is my favorite... how totally fun. You are doing a great job at moving your body, girl! You are an inspiration!! :)

    Take care
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your action goals! And those fall pictures are gorgeous! You're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like you are really on your way to making some big changes in these cahllenges

    I love your autumn pictures, they are beautiful - I love autumn too!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful view from your deck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good that you are so encouraged and having success. I hope, you are having a great new week. Your pictures are so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pictures and you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job and I love the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job and if you keep this busy exercising you should do fantastic by the end of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty:) Doesn't look much like fall here yet. Or I haven't been looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your week in pictures (beautiful) and events. If I was exercising like you are, I'd feel very good about myself. Way to go. You're biking is amazing. On to Week #4. I bet that little red dress is going to fit you just fine this Christmas, Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We don't get the 4 seasons where I live, so I love seeing fall and winter pics.

    Keep up the great work, you have some great goals :) You will be in your dress in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures Michelle!

    But more importantly way to nail your goals. You can't help but be successful they way you are going! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing an awesome job on the "Give Yourself the Best Gift" challenge. Keep on trucking! (Or cycling I should say)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job! What an inspiration to read!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michelle you are so good! You are one of the most enthusiastic and positive bloggers out there. Keep up the great work. I may be severely falling behind but I love cheering on my fellow bloggers that are rocking their goals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pics!
    And lots of goals... best of "luck" with them all...
    Which you won't need (luck) cuz you have the skillz!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome pics! Just a quickie here - I haven't been able to comment on blogs but it seems to be working again...I have been reading and *trying* to comment!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete