Monday, September 12, 2011

Pictures of Devon: Dr. Oz and health articles

Greetings on a lovely September day from Minnesota! I am back from a terrific trip to England. My hubby and I spent the last few days of our trip in Dartmoor and then Exmoor National Parks in south western England in the area known as Devon. They are both famous for their extensive open moorland and exposed granite hilltops (especially Dartmoor) called tors. They both have abundant walking, bridle and cycling trails. Because of the intermittent rain we went on short hikes for the most part with no cycling unfortunately. Here are a few pictures:
Open moor land
Tors
What image comes to your mind with the granite below??
We definitely had to get used to driving on the left hand side of the road in the UK.
We never expected the beautiful roads of Devon
would be narrow one-laners with hedgerows on either side.
Believe me they make for a tight squeeze if another car comes from the opposite direction.
How about this perspective with hubby (6'3")?
Sometimes the signs were virtually "growing" in the hedgerows!
The lovely stone walls throughout the moors and the countryside
The gate below was one of the access points to the higher moors
A friendly horse along one of our trails
The lovely medieval village of Dunster on Exmoor's border
A wonderful pub near our B & B
Village where our B & B was located
On the weight loss front, two terrific articles were published recently. Time, September 12, 2011, has an excellent series of articles on “What to eat now.” None other than Dr. Oz penned one article I found particularly illuminating. His credibility certainly was enhanced through his spots on Oprah, but many do not know that he has conducted over 5, 000 heart surgeries as a skilled cardiac surgeon. His article is filled with research based information about how food reacts in our bodies. Here are some of my favorite quotes that I think of as great tips for healthy living:

The problem isn’t that people don’t want to eat well and be well. Trust me, no one who’s ever been wheeled into my operating room is happy to be there. And the problem, believe it or not, isn’t that they doubt the wisdom of a healthy diet. More often than you think, the problem is that a lot of folks just don’t know what a healthy diet looks like~and why should they since the rules keep changing (p. 50)?

Want to get healthy? Then forget about diet sodas and low fat foods. Instead tuck in some eggs, whole milk, salt, nuts, wine, chocolate and coffee. Despite conventional wisdom, all of these foods and more can be beneficial to your body
(p. 50).

A big new study showed that over four years increased amounts of different foods (nuts vs French fries) led to different outcomes on the scale (p. 54).

Of all the changes taking place on the food front, one of the most important concerns the balance between diet and exercise (p. 52). You should be serious about exercising (p. 58). And keep in mind that we all overestimate the caloric benefits of exercise (p. 58).

Human beings are the only species in the world that has figured out how to be in complete control of its own food supply. The challenge now is to make sure the food doesn’t take control of us (p. 58).

The second worthy article appeared in the Economist, August 27, 2011 and is titled Obesity: A widespread problem. This article reports on a paper published in Lancet from Kevin Hall of the National Institute of Health (NIH). Hall proposes a new model regarding the difficulty of losing weight. This new model takes into account our bodies' shifting metabolism as we age and accounts for baseline characteristics that are different from person to person. The body mass simulator can be viewed here and is a "much more realistic assessment of what some one needs to do to get slim." I found this model particularly interesting as some one who is aging and a very slow loser.

Thanks for stopping by and having a read. Have a great start to your week. Stay strong! TTFN, Michele

10 comments:

  1. So glad you are are back. I've missed you, but knew we'd get to see beautiful pictures and stories about your time in the UK. I've been to Devon once and agree that it is beautiful. Was with a group so not much time to linger. Would love to go back and explore on my own like you did!

    Am also excited to check out both those articles.

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Oz...... he falls in an out of LC favor -
    Must be all the fightin'....!
    But it's nice to see he wants us to "tuck in some eggs!"

    Love the pics - and I, too am glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the photos and the excerpts from the article. You must have had a wonderful trip. I think Dr. Oz has lots of good things to say. I have also come to the conclusion that the weight loss and weight maintenance process aren't as complicated as we make them. I love your approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pics! I will check out the articles...love Dr. Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to think of dr. Oz as one of Oprah's celebrities. Then I listened to Krista Tippet's interview with him on onBeing. He definitely scored a lot of points with me there when he talked about combining traditional and medicines.
    Love your pics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful!! I am glad you had a great time!!
    I will check out the articles ~ For me, when I first started, I sure did not know what a healthy diet looks like. So glad I'm learning this now!

    Take care and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are beautiful vacation photos. I love England!

    I am a huge fan of Dr OZ! I have learned so much about health and weight loss from his books and his TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michele, wow - two posts for the price of one! You really get around. Thanks for taking us with you.

    I'll check out those articles. I think I read the study Oz was referring to, if it was the one where they followed what nurses eat over a four-year period. It made me rethink some assumptions about calorie counting. Turns out we ARE what we eat.

    Weather permitting, I will ride to the Mariners for the first time this afternoon. Have thought about you riding to the Vikings. It's about 20 miles, I think, so my wife will drive in and meet me and we'll ride home together by car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I am overly jealous of your travels. :)
    Glad to hear from you and that you are doing well. I am not generally a "TV DOC" fan. Sometimes Dr.Oz has some worthwhile things to say. I'll have to check out the articles.

    Umm....what's up with our Vikes? Sigh....

    ReplyDelete