Thursday, September 15, 2011

Happy Friday and new challenges!

Greetings and Happy Friday!
We had our first frost in Minnesota over the last couple of days. It was not a killer frost in Minneapolis (we covered our delicate plants and veggies), but it is a sign that fall is on the way and winter is not far behind it.

Truth be told, it was a sluggish week for me on my getting healthy journey. I worked very hard this past summer and even over the course of our last trip to England with eating, tracking food and of course exercise. I kept up my exercise this week, but eating, not so much. My sluggishness showed up on the scale with a two pound gain from my low of 178. No regrets, but time to pick up the slack and get back on track!

The Slimmer This Summer and other challenges really helped me to maintain my mojo and of course created accountability throughout the summer. News of other challenges geared for the holidays peeked my interest this week. I will be joining Thrice Blessed's Give Yourself the Best Gift and Thursday's Child's Christmas Dress Challenge. Linking to both of those blogs will allow you to review the rules if you are interested and to even join! First my statement and action points for:
I plan to give myself a gift this holiday season. It is the gift of commitment to continue to move forward toward good health and renewed fitness by eating less and moving more. At the end of the season, my gift will be not only quantifiable in terms of pounds lost and miles cycled or walked, but will be the feeling of satisfaction and pride in my continued efforts to regain my health, even during the holiday season. To achieve my gift, I plan to adhere to the following action goals:

1. Track my food intake daily.
2. Stick to under 1500 calories on average a day.
3. Exercise, rigorously, at least 8 hours per week.
4. Weigh in every two weeks
5. Plan for eating for the big holidays and other events during this challenge, including football games, Halloween, concerts, Thanksgiving and of course Christmas
6. Continue to learn about what works best for me in this journey to better health, specifically losing and maintaining weight loss as we age and our metabolism slows down.
7. Support and encourage other weight loss bloggers.

For my second challenge I decided on one very tangible goal: to fit into this lovely little red dress by December 10, which is the date of a holiday party that I attend every year.
I bought this dress last April at a super sale to wear at one of the events around my son’s recent wedding. I knew it was too small (size 16), but, I thought it would be a perfect fit for the wedding in August. Not. Imagine my chagrin when I tried it on about a month before and realized I was not going to make it. I think losing about 10 pounds should get me into that dress. I lost 8 pounds with the slimmer this summer challenge, so I think 10 pounds is reasonable and doable over the next 14 weeks. I plan to weigh in every two weeks and post my weight on this blog. Because I am a slow, but determined weight loss loser, I am grateful that Thursday's Child accepted my variance of weighing in or demonstrating measurable accountability only every two weeks. I will post my progress toward both of the challenges every week although I will weigh in only every two weeks. My seven action points above will contribute to my proposed 10-pound weight loss. Holiday weight loss and getting healthy challenges here I come!!

What about you? Are you participating in any challenges this holiday season??

We have tickets to the first season home game for the MN Vikings on Sunday. After last week's derailment in the second half: any one want to trade a couple of tickets to the Vikes for tickets to the Lions? Or better yet, any one have tickets to the Lynx on Friday night?? Kidding aside: our Mn Lynx's women's basketball team is kicking it up, especially our own hometown girl Lindsay Whalen. A fantastic bright spot in Twin Cities sports right now.

Have a great weekend! Thanks for reading and TTFN,
Michele

22 comments:

  1. Hiya,a fellow Christmas Dress Challenger found you by way of Tuesday's Child. That dress in GORGEOUS! I have my fingers crossed that you have success in the challenge and make your goal. It is stunning. I look forward to participating with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very level-headed plan in place to help you achieve your goals. That is a big part of the success quotient. The red dress is gorgeous, you must post a picture of yourself when you reach your goal. I will be cheering you on. My DH & sons have been pleasantly surprised by our Lions so far this year, but the season is just beginning. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that dress! Now that is a good goal to aim towards.
    We are entering a challenging season with all the holidays and temptations. You inspired me to make some kind of a plan for myself to keep from falling off the wagon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress! Thanks for the comment on my blog, didn't realize you were from Minnesota until I read your blog entry today, I use to live in Minnesota but now live in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way!!! Challenges last fall did me in! Okay, I know it was me, and not the challenge. But, still.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty sure I won't be doing the Christmas Dress Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not in a challenge but want to have lost 200 pounds by December. Your goals sound great and I love the push to be better after a weight gain and not the boo-hoo I hear about as I visit so many other blogs.

    Get'er Done:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress. It will look amazing on you. You have done so well Michele. I am proud of you. I love you goals and ideas. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to learn more from you and watch you shrink to the size you are heading for.
    Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress is fabulous, and you will look sooo pretty in it! You will also look great for your party. I'm so glad to be doing this with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dress. Your boys were born at the hoapital in West Hills!!! OMG, small world. Which one? On Fallbrook or Roscoe? The hospital that was on Fallbrook is a private school and the hlsptail on Roscoe is now studio owned, they film some series there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frost already, oh my goodness!! Today definitely felt like a fall day, cloudy and cool. Love the dress, can't wait to see it on you!!

    Wanted to let you know that I gave you an award. Check it out!!

    Take care and stay focused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do sorta the same sort of eating plan. I like it.

    Love that dress. Perfect for Christmas. Or Valentine's day. Or I feel snazzy and and not feeling ruminaty, but perhaps more dancy day. I am in an autumnal challenge. I am not doing weight or exercise as goals. I do my best to try to foil any of those sorts of goals. EYEROLL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The linky for the challenge is now up on my blog, so don't forget to link up your goal post

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is GORGEOUS! And it will look even better with you in it!

    At least you're not a Carolina Panthers fan. Like me. Cause they suck this year. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that dress. Make sure you take a picture for us to see when you go to that party. The joy of being in that dress will be more than you could have from ANY food. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE that dress and it will be perfect for a Christmas party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice red and sexy. Accentuate with some white and you will be all Christmasy! Good luck in this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous dress!!! I ADORE it :) Can't wait to see you in it, Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous dress. Look forward to doing the challenge with you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Michele, as with all of your posts, I found this post inspiring and motivating. You're doing great with your program, even if you were a bit sluggish last week. I LOVE the red dress you've set for your holiday dress goal. Thanks for the links to the two challenges. I will check them out. I'm ready to get back into a program of self-care again and maybe these two challenges will help me, too. I'm going to look for a little red inspiration holiday dress for myself this week! Hugs, my friend. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the dress! A worthy reward for hard work. You joke, but the Lions look great. The Vikes not so much. How can a team only 1 player or 2 away from a superbowl suck so much? Sigh....But then I'm a Cowboy fan so I'm used to that. At least they resigned Adrian, right?

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a great dress. I look forward to doing the challenge with you. This is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete