Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Blogger love, Biking and Minnesota sports!

Blogger love: I will begin this post by spreading a little blogger love: Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for the wonderful comments and encouragement on my last post about the latest challenges that I have begun. I never feel alone in this journey, but instead feel you all right there with me.

Joy presented my blog with the Liebster Blog Award.
If you do not know Joy’s blog, you should. She has made considerable progress on her own getting healthy journey. She is truthful and inspiring in her efforts to get healthy. "Liebster" means "favorite" or "love" in German and can be presented to bloggers you love that have fewer than 200 followers. I will pass this award on to some of my favorites. I hope they will become some of your favs, too, they are all very different from each other:


Bruce has met many of his weight loss goals. His main focus now is on staying fit with running. Top notch blog.


Dawn has met with a great deal of success in her weight loss journey. Inspirational.

Ewa is post weight loss. Her blog is about being fit and healthy and always features a healthy dose of outdoor adventures.


Mike is in line to meet his goal of 200 pounds shed by the end of the year. If you do not know his honest and thoughtful blog you should.

Sharon is thoughtful and inspiring. Always.

Biking: It has been great to finally get out on my bike the last few days. I have been on Millie (my road bike) and Merel (my Dutch bike) many times. You can see by my mileage ticker that I am closing in on 1000 (!!) miles ridden since June 10 when I started logging with Daily Mile. One of my favorite quick rides is still to Minnehaha falls, about a 12 mile round trip. Enjoy a picture of the falls!
Merel is a great bike for around town, doing errands, watching the grandbabies play soccer and going to sporting events in downtown.
Speaking of sporting events: I wrote about our WNBA Minnesota Lynx last Friday. Well, you may not have heard that they made it to the Western Conference Finals for the first time in franchise history. I tell you these women are superb athletes, team players and fantastic role models. Their games are unfortunately sparsely attended. I predict the low attendance will change with their current record. I was lucky enough to score a couple of tickets at center court for last night’s winner takes all game. My 8 year old aspiring basketball player granddaughter, Nani, and I attended together. It was a thrilling game!

Imagine our surprise to find this person sitting in the seats right next to us. For those of you who do not know, that is our Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton.I doubt Nani will be a professional athletic and probably not a professional politician, either. But, right now she has an image of some powerhouse women and understands that a high level politician is a fan and a human being just like her. Imagine that. Wow. Sometimes life is just amazing.
Game on, Ladies!

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on the blog award.
    Just read your post about your trip to England. I was born and raised there, it was nice seeing the photos, but it kind of makes me a little home sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, thanks for the links. I'm going to check out Mike's blog. 1000 miles!!!! That's a GREAT summer. Congratulations.

    Neat observation about your granddaughter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1000 miles? Cripes. I don't think I have ridden a bike that far in total over my life. Even riding my bike to Jr. High every day. OK maybe. But not in a mere few months and certainly not with those spiffy saddle bags astride the back tire!

    How exciting to find yourself next to your governor! Nani's sweet little face assures no politics in the future... or maybe that assures it. Ut oh. Regardless - so sweet and innocent. I love that you took your granddaughter to women's basketball. Good role models those girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danke, Michele. :)
    Impressive biking mileage. Hope winter does not come too soon and you can keep on biking. What is your exercise of choice when it gets too snowy too bike?
    Just found you on Dailymile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1000 miles - very impressive! I've been trying to ride a little every night but nothing like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So... the bike shoe thing. Love it because it is much more efficient; you can pull up using your hamstrings as well as the typical downward stroke. BUT, I used them first at indoor cycling and that gave me a a chance to practice getting my feet out! If you do try them, let me know; I have some words of advice:) And I have major trail envy. You have so many more miles than we do. And lakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michele, I loved catching up with your doings. Thanks for the super pix of your UK trip--I'm green with envy! And hats off to your 1000 miles of biking. It makes me want to get out there today and bike some more. What a great exercise. Our weather is getting colder now and I'm already mourning the loss of evening bike rides.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice mileage Michele! I think you are probably the best at being realistic on what it takes to get where you need to be and have made great life-style changes that you can stick with.

    Thanks for the award. Quite the surprise and I appreciated the kind comments both here and on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about you with the 1000 miles?!? What a fun experience for you at the game. I just love sports. All of them. And I love for girls to see what things are possible in this big world of ours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michele - 1000 miles is awesome. This sabbatical has been incredibly good for you, hasn't it? Nani is so cute. The fact that you are tending to your health and focusing on fitness is a real act of love and family certainly deserves the best we have to give. I love the picture of the Falls - beautiful! You just keep inspiring me and I thank you for that. Blessings, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, Michele! Thoughtful and inspiring is exactly what I want to be. I appreciate the validation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your 1000 miles Michele. My biking fell way off with my health problems this year. Then, just about when I was ready to give it a shot again, a friend emailed me to tell me that she saw a news item that said that there was a perv who has been exposing himself at the forest preserve where I usually bike. At first, I thought it was kind of funny, but then I grudgingly had to accept that one never knows when someone like that could be dangerous. So I'm planning to get a few more rides in before winter, but probably just around the neighborhood. Wishing you safe rides.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW Michele, 1000 miles and I complained about a tiny 12 mile trip. Next spring my friend, next spring I am coming down and going to ride my bike with you. I am, you can count on it. Before school is out and after the grass is green. I'm going to start riding the bike at the gym come winter and strenghten my knees so I'm ready.
    Keep up the great work my friend. Have a blessed Firday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that picture of the waterfall :). Yeah, I find it much easier to get rid of triggers than resist them! Why tempt yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing. I remember when you first started blogging about your bike...now look at you! Keep up the great work my Friend and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete