Saturday, July 9, 2011

Finishing a strong week and challenge updates

Happy Weekend, Bloggers!

It has been a really strong week for me! I continue to learn more about my own body and its response to both increasing exercise and calorie intake. I tracked my food carefully and came in at about 1300 calories on three days. Most of you know that last week I started including protein powder in my food program as a way to mediate my light-headedness. Because of the heat and humidity this week, I did most of my cycling early in the morning. This made a huge difference for me in terms of my calorie intake. I was able to get in three 1300 or less calories a day with a full week of good exercise. I know that I will actually lose weight if and only if I can get my calories to about 1200. I do not weight in until July 23, so hoping that I will record a loss with this new regime.

Before I get to my challenge updates, a couple of items:
Are you a Tour de France affectionado? If you are, you might like to know there is a great link (passed onto me by my son) where you can watch it live via the web. Enjoy!

Next: wear sunscreen! Two members of my family recently had surgery on their nose and chins because of skin cancer. We are older than many of you, plus there was NO sunscreen in my youth and even my early adulthood, thus many of you "youngins" have less risk than we do. I make it a habit of putting some on my nose (especially!), my face and neck every day, whether I will be out in the sun or not. There is no reason anymore for any of us adults to get sun burned. So, protect your skin: use a good sunscreen this summer and every day.

Challenge updates!
My target for week 4 (July 2-July 9) for Small Change Challenge was to eat more protein calories at breakfast and lunch. This worked really well for me. I will keep it up.

Next small change goal (July 10 to July 16): I am going to target experimenting with some "core" exercises this week. Not sure what, but, know that this will be another step forward for me.
For me, the Slimmer this Summer (STS) challenge is going GREAT!!
Weight loss:
I will not weigh in until July 23. So, no news here.

Moving more: You can see by my mileage in the side bar that cycling was very strong again this week, too. 5/7 days I climbed the set of stairs I wrote about last week. Actually this stair climbing is becoming another habit at this point.

Tracking food: I target 1400-1500 a day. As you know from above, I made it under 1300 calories several days. I did go over one day, too. I did great tracking in both water and food every day.

Blogger love: Yes, I have spread the bloggy love. Many of you have had significant weight loss success.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for your support. Have a great weekend! TTFN, Michele

17 comments:

  1. Yes, sunscreen...otherwise it hurts and itches and could be lots worse if something else comes from it. Thank you Michele. I'll be sure to use it not just on my face and neck, like probably my back and shoulders next time for sure.
    You are doing awesome on all parts of your journey to a healthier you. I am so very proud of you. Keep it up. You keep inspiring so many of us. Thank you!!
    Take care and have a blessed weekend. I'm heading out to till the garden but had to stop by so I could spread at least some love your way. Thank you for always stopping by and your sweet comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch but my husband does so I catch bits and pieces. And, as a three time skin cancer survivor, I'm all about the sunscreen:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you won't weigh until the 23rd. Weekly weighing is kinda keeping me on spot, but also a bit stressful.

    You are doing great on the moving aspect. Good going.

    Yes it is like the song "Use Sunscreen".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are doing well....
    And this is a good summer for alot of our peeps in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on the cycling. I'm going to get a bike carrier for my car. I'd much rather ride outside than in, but the roads are so dangerous where I live. We have a nice bike trail about ten miles away, though. I'm going to try to do this, by this fall. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Michele! You are really doing well. Congratulations on all your successes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A healthy lifestyle pays such dividends! You are moving, you are eating well, and the determination is there. You will get to your goal weight as long as this continues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent Work! I rode in the Peach Pedal this weekend...many, many miles on my fixed gear! There was one other lady with a vintage electra fixed gear, complete with dress guards! We rode together, passing the multi-gears on the hills.

    Have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had better sunscreen as a youth. I can remember turning purple every June. I cringe now.

    Did you see the wrecks in the Tour de France today? That is one crazy race!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice on the calories, you're exercising a lot so it's completely understandable to add calories. Listen to your body and give it what it needs. Glad the protein powder works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are really doing great with your food and moving! You are doing really well with your challenges this summer, congratulations! I'm sure your July 23rd weigh in will reflect all of our hard work.

    I wish that I would have had sunscreen as a kid. Being pale, I just freckled and burned. Now of course I slather on the 80 sunblock when I'm out and use it on my face and neck everyday whether I'm going to be out or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Tour de France! My boyfriend is a bit cycling fan so we watch all the big cycling events, but the Tour is my favourite. Seems a bit lethal this year, too many injuries already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep up the good work!!! You are doing great and the results will show in weigh in day Nicole @ www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're doing so well. So glad to hear from you. You inspire me to stay the course!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your comments, justreturning the STS lurv:-). You are doing great. I am back on track with counting cals this week and eating much better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would love it if we would get some sun. Come on summer!! Been cloudy and rainy the past couple of days. Depressing!

    Keep up the great work my Friend!! You are doing awesome!!

    Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised when you step on that scale on July 23rd. You've definitely got the focus to success with your goals. And good advice about the sunscreen. I live in CO - a mile closer to the sun - and squamous cell cancer is no laughing matter. Sunscreen for sure! It's good to be back reading your blog and getting inspired. Thanks for your friendship and support. Jackie

    ReplyDelete