Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cruise control

I am going to start this post by sending out a word (or a few) words of thanks for all the positive and encouraging comments I am receiving on this blog since I started the Slimmer This Summer and other challenges. It is not an easy trek to get fit and healthy but I never feel alone because of all of you. Thank-you for stopping by and spending part of your day with me.

I hope you all had a great Fourth of July! Several of our family members traveled by bike to several Minneapolis destinations include lunch, a swimming beach and fireworks over the Stone Arch Bridge. All together we did about 20 miles of leisurely bike riding with kids in tow. Eating was good, actually very good, including a few beers. My average calories for the three days were under 1600. With all my exercise I aim for 1500 a day, so 100 more, is pretty dang good for me for a holiday weekend with lots of family time.

I am working on adding more protein into my diet as a way to mediate my light-headedness when I am exercising. I bought some protein powder at Trader Joe’s this weekend. ½ scoop has 9 grams of protein and only 50 calories. I add it to milk for a combined total of 160 calories and 16 whopping grams of protein. I am trying to take this milk in about an hour or so before I start a ride. Worked well the last three days.

Speaking of riding, I am moving into cruise control, so to speak. My favorite bike ride right now is three loops around Lake Harriett for 10 miles. The trail is even and in excellent condition, which means I can ride about 15-16 MPH with ease. I am working on my “form” right now and my pace. Trying to keep my knees in, back straighter and my pace even. I challenge myself by trying to keep at a steady pace, say 14mph for as long as I can. Plus, I am working on my time for those 10 miles. On hot days I am doing it in about 50 minutes, today cooler, I did it in 44. Another thing is that I am making it a habit to climb those stairs almost every ride. Today I did three times up and down.

So, both my eating and my exercise are in cruise control. I am moving forward with what works for me. I have decided that I am not going to step on the scale until July 23 (the day I leave for Port Townsend, WA and my son’s wedding). As a matter of fact, I think I will only weigh in once a month from now on. It is just too frustrating. I know I am doing really well in both exercise and eating. Sure, I can do better, but I have never done as well as I am right now. The scale simply does not reflect my efforts. I do not want the scale to define my progress, but rather, my continuing stamina and the fact that my clothes fit better and loser. So, I am in cruise mode for now. Hopefully unexpected bumps in the rode will be minimal.

Thanks for reading. Have a great start to your short week. TTFN and stay strong, Michele

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad that protein is working for you; I always thought it was carbs that fueled a cardio workout. I love those lake trails you have. Envy. Kudos for knowing what works best for you re the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! It's been too hot to bike here - maybe we'll get some cool days soon?!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang - You are doing so well!
    Looks like great times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to hear that you are at peace with life, dieting, exercising, eating - all can be such stressors. You are so right about the scale - that durn thing can make or break your day. I have heard of people just throwing it out and not weighing at all. Good job. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do what works best for you and most of all - be happy and live well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have found that taking half a scoop of protein powder before I work out helps me as well. I don't put it in milk, but rather take it with half a cup of water and half a cup of water Kind of a weird combination, but it is a good mix for me to help me get out the door between 5 and 6 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for mentioning bike form. I don't think about that enough, truthfully. On the rare occasion I do, it seems to go better. The rest of the time, I think I must be flailing away a lot.

    What a cool location for a wedding! I haven't been to PT in years, but was really fond of it when there used to be a music festival there that Shannon did. There was a wedding at the hotel we stayed in this weekend. Just a great time of year and location for a wedding, and PT will have a similar feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never appreciated bike form till I injured my back.
    Smart move about waiting with weigh-ins. I know my weight fluctuates wildly from day to day. It can be very frustrating.
    Funny, it feels like mid week already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michele,
    I left this comment on my blog for you but thought I'd copy it here - thank you for popping by!
    Michele, they do the testing every 8 weeks at the clinic that I go to. They don't use this particular unit (I can't remember the name of the one that they use) but I've heard that gyms will also do this testing for a fee. Maybe check around your area? My testing is covered by the clinic.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qJytfppXU4
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing so well. The bike trail sounds terrific. I wish it wasn't so dang hot here so I could run and maybe even bike more, but at 90 at 7am and 100+later, it limits my choices. I'll just live vicariously through you and Alan! HA ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make me want to get on my bike and ride! Do you have a computer on your bike so you know how fast and how far you have gone?
    Not sure if you are an oatmeal eater, but I put the protein powder in my oatmeal to get a little protein in the morning. Helps me get through my morning workout.
    I love that you are eating so well and it seems like some of your changes have become automatic. Keep it up!
    Always on the move- MER

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading your posts, I always feel encouraged afterwards. You are doing amazing things and I love the phrase "cruise control", a perfect way to describe that in control feeling.

    I get discouraged too when the scales don't reflect my hard work. I think that weighing in once a month is a great idea. Thanks for your kind and supportive comments, I appreciate hearing from you. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always do so well with your riding, it's really great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go Michele!!! You are a bike riding MAVEN!! :) Happy riding over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so inspiring! I have not got on my bike yet. I know bad, bad, bad!!! Maybe I'll get on it this week ~ now that the weather is nice!!

    Keep up the great work my friend. You are doing awesome!!!

    Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete