Friday, July 22, 2011

Biking away, STS and WI!

Happy Friday to All of You!
I had to bring Millie (above, my road bike) in for her first check up today. Since I bought her in early June, I logged 479 miles. I ride my other bikes, too, but Millie is my main exercise vehicle. I was out on a twenty-mile ride on Thursday. The entire ride was on a bike trail or path except for the mile or so to the trail where I ride through my neighborhood. Like many cycling days, I do a warm up ride for a few miles, this time I warmed up by going along the Minnehaha Trail to the falls. You have seen this picture before!
What you have not seen is that if I get back on the trail it continues on and joins another trail that takes me across the Mississippi River. Here I am on the Ford Bridge crossing the Mississippi.
I then pick up a trail on the East Mississippi River Road that takes me about 4 miles north. I then start to cycle east along another bike trail. Below you can see the biking trail and how it follows the light rail tracks.
Below is a view of the biking bridge that I take over the light rail line.
I continue East along trails that look like the one below and are known locally as the Midtown Greenway.
I once again arrive at the chain of lakes that makes SW Minneapolis so famous. This is Lake of the Isles and Grand Round trail system. The fun part of cycling in a mecca of biking trails like this is that I do not make any decision about where I will go until I am actually on my bike.
You cannot see the trail below, but it winds around the tunnel and edge of the lake.

I think most of you know that I have made it a habit to stop at a flight of stairs along one of the lakes as I am out riding. I take those stairs almost every time I am out now. But, I started thinking about what else I might begin to incorporate in my workouts and happened upon this little gem of a playground.

Did you ever climb monkey bars? I did when I was a kid and I loved it. Plus, I was agile back then and of course not overweight. So, I thought: "why not give it a try?" I really need to work on my upper arm strength anyway, so why not? Well, I tried it and guess what? I could not swing myself at all. As a matter of fact, I could only hold on for a few seconds. So, I am going to start bar swinging (not that kind!) as part of my fitness regime. I am not setting any goals. But, boy do I feel it when I hang for a bit.

Challenge updates. I am down to just one. This one:
For me, the Slimmer this Summer (STS) challenge continues to go GREAT!!
Weight loss:
That number might not mean much to any of you, but it reflects a 2.5 pound loss over the past 3 weeks and a 4 pound loss all together for STS! In 7 weeks I have lost 4 pounds. Not much, but it is the first downward slope I have had in over 5 months. I have lost a total of 31 pounds since I started this journey last year. Need-less-to-say, I am happy with the results.

Tracking food: Food was spot on again. I am proud of the fact that I have logged all of my food for 8 weeks now! I also came in at 10,100 calories! So, a good week here, too!

Move more: Well, you can see by my side bar that I will end this week at 48 miles, so short of my 85 targeted miles per week. I climbed the stairs 4 times, plus, you already know I started the monkey bars

Blogger love: Yes, I have spread the bloggy love.

Weekend: we leave tomorrow, Saturday, for Seattle and the Puget Sound and our son's wedding. I am so excited! We will spend 4 days first in Olympic National Park near Lake Crescent doing some day hikes. One of our other son's and his family will accompany us to the Park. The wedding of my son is on Saturday, July 30th. Pre-wedding activities begin next Wednesday!!!! Expect lots of pictures when I return.

I am going to go electronic free, except for a camera, while I am away. No computer and no (not sure if I can do this!) iPhone. I believe it is important to take an electronic vacation from time to time. So, I will catch up with all of you upon my return on August 3.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for your support. Have a great weekend and back on August 3! TTFN, Michele

18 comments:

  1. I will be having Michele withdrawals, but have a great time anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, love your thinking. Those trails are amazing. A-MAZING! I have been so freakin' scared to explore bike trails and look what I am missing. I cross Ford Bridge every day, what that picture doesn't show is how amazingly long it is! I have wanted to explore Minnehaha for awhile now... I love how you just start adding things like stairs, etc. Great thinking! Have fun and congrats on your continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a fabulous time! Sounds like you are back on track and things are going well. I have not been on my bike in so long I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too - Michelle withdrawals! Take lots of pics! :)
    Looks like a great place to ride! I, too, don't have very much upper body strength. Good for you for trying the monkey bars etc!
    Have a great time away!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang - that seems so far away.
    But it is just around the corner....
    Have fun!
    TTFN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you would lose. You've done so great Michele. I am so proud of all the work you've been doing. So many miles, so many stairs and now monkey bars, YEAH!!! Keep it up.
    Have a great time away and congrats on getting a new DIL. Take pics to share and just enjoy. Take care my friend. God Bless!!!
    P.S. I will be missing you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful time at the wedding!

    No wonder you bike so much- the scenery is lovely and you have those awesome paths!

    Congrats on the weight loss! I haven't touched the scale yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice ride! I have a Trek road bike too! I love it. Great job on your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures! Sweet bike!!! I have a solid hybrid Trek, but when I go back to the LBS I keep eyeing bikes like yours.

    I love it that you have biked across the Mississippi! How are you getting to PT? If you drive around through Tacoma, you'll cross the Narrows Bridge, which is a gorgeous locale. It has a separate bike lane and one of these days I am going to drag my bike down there just for the experience.

    Have fun here! Looks like you have a very full itinerary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had the best time a the wedding, seeing family and just having fun. Thanks for sharing all the pictures of your bike riding trails. think it is great that you are going to incorporate the monkey bar fun into your workout. Always good to have a fun challenge.
    Welcoming you back to the electronic world in early August!!

    MO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome news on your weigh in! good for you! I love the bike pics. I wish we had some good trails around here. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the bike trails that you have around. I need to check to see if there are some in my town.
    You are doing such a great job on your goals! Keep it up!!!
    Have a wonderful time at your son's wedding
    Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!
    Always on the move- MER

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing your bike ride photos, no wonder you enjoy your rides so much, gorgeous scenery. Have a wonderful time at the wedding, can't wait to see the photos. Congratulations on the downward trend in your weight loss and your summer challenge success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michele....I am SOOOO behind in my blog posts. Congrats on ALL of your successes!!! LOVE the photos too!!! Look forward to hearing how your son's wedding went. I'm in Vancouver super close to Seattle and he sure had a beautiful weekend weather wise. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pictures. You live in a great place! Have a blast at the wedding. Enjoy every minute!

    I will miss you. Stay focused my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job! You have such an awesome place to ride!!! So much beauty!!! If you are going to try bar swinging, watch out for creeps!!! Oh wait, you said not that kind... LOL Actually, what I wanted to say was if you are going to be doing that, be very careful of your shoulders, your rotator cuff could easily be pulled or torn. Warm up first, and start doing lots of flexibility work before you actually try swinging. I tried to do that once when I 19 or 20, I loved it when I was a little kid and so I tried it once on a whim, I pulled my rotator cuff and a muscle in my neck, and at the time I wasn't overweight at all, and I was young!!! so go slow and be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the biking regimine. Need to do that more myself. Also your trails and the neighborhoods brought back some fond memories. When we were dating my spouse lived a couple of blocks across the Ford bridge in Highland Park and later we rented a house by Lake Nokomis while I was attending summer school at the U of M. Have fun in Seatle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful!!! Your bike trails are making me just a little jealous! I love trail riding - so much safer than road riding.

    ReplyDelete