Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekend and a study of interest

Hello Bloggers!

I will admit that this past weekend was not my best. 1800 calories on Saturday and 2000 on Sunday. I can only lose weight when I consistently stay around 1400, IF my exercise is really on target. Yes, lots of reasons for eating over my budget, but the fact that I still tracked is a small win in my book. What matters now is that I move forward.


Obesity on the rise: I do not know if you heard last week about the study that reports that close to 2 BILLION of the world’s population is overweight. This is a 25% increase from the last set of data in 2002. “The trend is strongly correlated to rising income and to an increase in preventable health problems, writes Richard H. Weil in the latest Vital Signs Online release from the World watch Institute.”


In fact this study points out that about 75 percent of adults in the 10 richest countries are overweight, while in the 10 poorest, only 18 percent are. So there is a significant correlation between being overweight and rising income. In addition, the extra weight is showing up in issues to health in the same countries with rising income. Sobering information for all of us.


The figures above are for the “overweight” category, not the category where I land: obese. I will not even be in the overweight category until I lose another 25 pounds. One of the reasons I continue to move forward is I am well aware that I am at significant risk for health issues if I do not. Despite a weekend over budget: I will move forward and on because I want to avoid those health risks. Eat less, move more. Simple words that form my mantra.


How are you doing on eating less and moving more??


Stay strong!

TTFN, Michele

17 comments:

  1. The world IS getting fatter, and a lot of blame can be pur on processed foods.
    I believe watching calories is important but equally important is making sure where the calories come from. We do not metabolize all foods the same way.
    Good luck on your journey. Not only it leads to better health but better quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 calorie packs, fruit, few good nuts, I am packing to try and stay on track! Thanks for the encouragement, I have been really down about my boy and struggling to not ease my stress with food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pottering along, Its my new normal. I tell myself I just have to keep on going through the next few months and I'm hoping to reach goal before the end of the year. Just keep-on-a-going.
    I was part of that fatter world and for far too long too
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not had a great week, either, Michelle. But I am getting smarter and smarter about my body every day. I love that you know just how many calories you need to lose weight. I'm working on that, and am getting closer. Let's hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing well on my calories but not so hot on the exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, move forward. That's what I'm doing today. And yes the world is fatter. Thank you sugared sodas and no exercise. We have to stay focused on our goals. You're doing great. I have to lose 30 more pounds to be overweight. How sad is it that only having 30 pounds left is so awesome to me? Ah well....forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously! What breaks my heart is that those statistics probably don't include children. I see so many kids who are overweight and I can only wonder at how miserable they are and how sad it is that their parents don't have the knowledge/ tools or motivation to help them NOW.

    And ladies, the day you move from obese to just 'overweight' is a day to commemorate!! It won't be long for either of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. eye opening post, thanks for the info. I am doing better at eating less, I had a week or so where I was struggling again. And I keep on peddling that exercise bike. I just bought a jump rope, we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, obesity is on the rise, governments continue to support treatment instead of prevention programs. Together though we can change the world, starting with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Michele! What we're all doing here is so very important. Here's hoping we all have a great week that brings us closer to our goals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know it and you're doing awesome. Weekends are hard but you'll have that under control too. I am proud of all that you've done Michele. Keep up the great work.
    Take car eand have a blessed night sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually see that it is so much easier to buy processed unhealthy foods than healthy foods. And do you know what bothers me, I've been to and helped out at food banks and the food is processed, high fat, sugary. So I see the poor as being in a predicament of not being able to afford the healthy food.
    Sorry this week wasn't the best, but I am impressed that you know how many calories you need. It's a new week, just look forward not behind. I'm going to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep moving forward Michele. You may have had a less than stellar week, but you are still a role model to me!!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that is really concerning.

    By the way, I like your picture with the Dutch bike!

    Also, Shannon is playing Carmina this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi my Friend, My computer is down again and I have the best IT guy on it and this is a test :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! While I've never enjoyed being overweight and always wished I was slim, it was genuinely all the scary statistics about obesity related illness which pushed me to do something this time. I don't know why it suddenly seemed to matter, but I did start to get really scared that I was setting myself up for a lifetime of problems. I don't necessarily want to live to be 120 years old or anything, but I do want to be free of preventable health problems!

    ReplyDelete