Friday, June 10, 2011

Summer Challenge Updates

Happy Friday!
Today I will update you all on how I am doing on my three summer challenges. Ready??
Let's start with:My goals are:
1. Exercise every day at least one hour, with twice a day for 3/7 days in a week. I did great on this part of the challenge. Since my return from travel abroad, I have biked every single day. Right now, I am at 70 miles biked in 5 days. Two days this week I did additional exercise (walking) and one more ride. I plan another double dip for exercise today (Friday).

2. Start stair climbing: I will work on increasing my walking to include hills. I admit I did not climb any stairs, however, I did hike a couple of our hills here in Minneapolis, twice. So, at least some uphill work. On one of my rides this week I discovered a staircase that goes down from Riverside Parkway where I ride to the Mississippi River. Next week I plan to carry a lock with me to lock up my bike and give those stairs a whirl. So, next week: Stairs and hills!!


My target for week 1 for Small Change Challenge was (June 1-June 7): Document miles walked and time, number of stairs or hills climbed and water intake. I did document miles walked (total of 8 so far this week). I documented my water intake (way over 4 liters a day). I did not time my walks for this week. Second week of challenge: I will time my walks and stair climbs, too.

For next week, I also want to set a small change goal to eat only at the table.

Goals:
Weight loss: I have not weighed myself yet (this will be on Monday), so can not report here any loss or gain for that matter.

Moving more: As I wrote above, I am at 70 miles biking so far. I will pass 85 miles this week easily (my target). I did climb hills twice, just not any stairs.

Tracking food: I plan to aim for 1250 calories a day or 9,000 a week. I did great tracking both water and food every day.

Readjustment: I also would like to report that I tried to stay at 1250 or so calories a day. However, I found that this is just not enough for me at the level of exercise I am at. I have been getting dizzy and light headed after my long rides and I am guessing this is because I am not taking in enough calories. (Don't worry: If this dizziness continues I will get it checked out). On my 20 mile bike ride yesterday, I calculated 1158 calories burned. I do not always ride that long, but my general calorie burn on my rides is 500-800 calories. So I am allowing myself a slight increase in calories from 1250 to 1450-1500 on the days that I ride hard. This week that will be a caloric intake of about 10,500 calories. So, a little more than Debbi would like to see, but more akin to what I feel I need in terms of calories burned.

Blogger love: It has been fun reading the goals of other challengers and getting acquainted with them through their blogs. I uploaded links to all the Slimmer challengers in my side bar. Feel free to hop over and get to know a few. A big thank-you to the many new followers I acquired this week in part due to the Slimmer Challenge. I will do my best to support you, too! We are in this together and it is for life!!

Speaking of bloggy love: on Monday I will post my once in a blue moon awards post. Bet your excited, now aren't ya??

Weekend plans: We will be heading to hear Carmina Burana and the Minnesota Orchestra tonight. Can't wait. Hope for dry weather for biking, too, this weekend. Millie and I are getting well acquainted. I averaged 16 MPH today!! What are your plans for the weekend?? Have a great weekend and stay strong! TTFN, Michele

25 comments:

  1. Right on! You are committed! That is a lot of activity. You have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O Fortuna! Shannon's playing the music of Barbara Streisand with Marvin Hamlisch and the SSO Pops. I'll take Carmina, thank you!

    Do try the stairs and promise not just to try them once. The first time's the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With tough workouts that burn insane calories, upping intake makes sense, as long as you lose weight weekly. It's all good, and Debbi surely would agree. Congrats on the exercise and tracking, etc. It's gonna be so worth it.

    Catch ya later,

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great! I was staying at 1200 calories, but when I started exercising more & burning 800 to 1000+ calories a day, I raised my calorie limit up to 1400 - 1500. You are right when you burn a lot of calories you really do need to eat more. Your water intake is great! i was aiming for 3 liters a day, but with the heat lately, it's been higher. Enjoy the concert tonight, sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GReat on the activity. That is definitely my shortfall in the challenge. I need to step it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great update Michele!! Glad that you are getting out there and moving more. I hope the stairs are fun, as well as a good challenge!

    MO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree, if you have an intense exercise workout, you'll need more calories. Listen to your body. A lot of new one starting out don't know how to do that. They don't know they difference between true hunger and just wanting food, heck, even I don't know half the time! Food is fuel, if you're body needs fuel then by all means feed it. You're doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm enjoying a few more hours of peace and quiet with the house to myself. Then once I pick up hubby and teen from the airport I hope to hear all about college orientation:) I have not been on my bike since Mother's Day! Weather and life have not cooperated. Now my maybe broken toe might mean longer without riding.

    Sounds like you are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love Carmina Burana! May put the last section on my Ipod to run to today. I think I'm going to steal your small change goal...I sit down for dinner and that's about it.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW - you are rockin' the journey to all things good health and fitness! You're an inspiration. ahhh, I do wish I had the weather and time to put that many miles on my bike too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're doing so awesome. Make sure you hydrate enough before and during and after your long rides and add some protein, nuts or something, in the middle. That'll help. I've found that even when I limit calories a lot on workouts I can do fine if I up my fluids significantly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by to say hi at my blog. You are doing great! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you are doing awesome and listening to your body. Good work! Keep it up and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michele, wow, you are an exercise inspiration. Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job biking! 70 miles, WOW!! Looking forward to reading about the pay off from it. Keep up thte great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're rocking this challenge. 70 miles in 5 days is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sire Debbi said at some point that if the calorie level she suggested didn't work for you for whatever reason then it was ok to change it. After all, the key to the numbers suggestion was that people eat at a healthy level, which obviously is higher for you with allt he exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good job on those goals!!! Wow, your bike riding sounds intense, and makes me miss riding my bike. I think I'm still too out of shape to go far, but I bet I would enjoy a short ride without a lot of hills.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! You're doing so good! Biking sounds like a great way to burn calories. I'm really enjoying my jogging on the treadmill, maybe one day I'll get into the spinning... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoot!! Great job. I LOVE biking. So much more fun than running!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! Such fantastic work outs and so much more. Take care Michele. Keep up the terrific work. Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW ! you are quite the biker ! You are doing fantastic, can't wait to hear how your weigh in goes as well !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice job on getting all those miles in so far! If you're biking that much and that hard, you definitely need more calories. You can also increase your protein a bit instead ... although that will automatically increase the calories.

    Keep on riding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooookay you did it. You inspired me to get a bicycle! I really want a child carrier trailer thing to go along with it. I'm doing it within the next 30 days, ya! Great job on your exercise; you are blowing it out of the water! I hear you with the calorie thing though; if I do spin class, I have to make sure to increase my calories that I'm used to or I go all sorts of dizzy.

    ReplyDelete