Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Renewed goals and challenges

Greetings on the First Day of June!
I begin this fresh new month with renewed commitment to moving forward in my journey to be fit and healthy. I am committing myself to three different challenges to keep me motivated and focused.

Deb’s Slimmer This Summer challenge will run June 6th through August 28th.

Goals:
Weight loss: I am going to target a 10 pound loss for the 12 week challenge, with a mini-goal of being under 180 pounds by July 15. I know I can lose about a pound a week with careful eating and tracking and logging my food. I also want to be realistic. Thus, I believe ten pounds in 12 weeks is doable for me.

Moving more: I would like to continue my biking so that I am logging at least 85 miles a week. Second, I would like to increase my stamina and speed in walking, including stair climbing at least twice a week.

Tracking food: This is key for me. I plan to aim for 1250 calories a day or 9,000 a week.

June Boom:

This is Alan’s (Pounds off Playoff) challenge: My goals for this challenge are:
1. Exercise every day at least one hour, with twice a day for 3/7 days in a week.

2. Start stair climbing: This is something I have put off for a long time. I will work on increasing my walking to include hills. I can do about 6 flights now, would like to double this. I hope to walk up and down the Grand Canyon in the fall.

Small Change Challenge:
This challenge is from Tami. In this challenge I will target smaller weekly goals for the month of June to help me meet the larger overall goals that I aspire to in both the Slimmer This Summer and June Boom challenge.

My first small change target for week 1 (June 1-June 7): Document miles walked and time, number of stairs or hills climbed and water intake.

Overlapping challenge goal: Spreading the love. I know how important it is to encourage each other in our progress to get healthier and fit. I would like to commit to supporting and finding new bloggers (at least one a week) and of course others who are taking part in the challenges above. This goal also extends to me: I want to continue to find ways to take better care of myself, including more reading about getting and staying healthy.

Finally, I will reserve the right to adjust these goals to reflect success (!!) and or unexpected life events.

What about you? What goals or targets are you setting for yourself for this summer?
TTFN and stay strong,
Michele

21 comments:

  1. Wow... that is a lot of challenges! Right now my goal is to take off what I gained in one weekend of the grad party:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these goals. I have to redo Debbi's challenge but will do that this weekend.
    180 by time I get there, cool. I want 170 by time I get there (with you that is). So close for us both, we can do this.
    Take care Michele and thank you for noticing my new pic and WOW you logged the days and miles. You know something else, it was just you I and I think, I'll wait a bit longer to see if anyone else joined us but if not, well I'll just bring your surprise with me.
    Have a great day Michele. Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele - great challenges for the summer!!! So glad, too, that you are sharing with us your vacation, bike riding and the many sights you are seeing. Enjoy your week!!

    MO

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have set reasonable and smart goals for yourself. Making the life style changes the goal is a great way to insure that you reach the goal of 180 lbs. Best wishes in your challenges!

    I want to continue my bike riding and try to get 400 miles down in June. I was able to make it in April, but fell about 15 miles short in May. I want to drink 3 liters of water per day at least 4 days a week. I also want to watch my sodium intake and try to keep it under 1700 mg per day. I'm not setting any specific weight goal, but I hope that following my plan will give me a decent loss by the end of June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds both reasonable and challenging enough to be interesting for you. Best of luck on your summer challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice on all the challenges! I think that by doing several it will motivate you even more! I think that 1 lb a week is completely doable. Stick with that 9000 calories a week and amp up the exercise and you will for sure have success. I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind comment.

    We're about the same weight; it'll be great heading down that scale this summeer. I'm so ready to get out of the 180s!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michele, glad you're up for the challenge! I had no idea how great stair climbing would be. You really do see results. My advice, don't go too fast at first. Go for distance. And don't get discouraged if the first time you get really get sore. It gets better!

    Have a great month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're in this challenge together, toots. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gave you The Adorable Blog Award. Should ou decide to accept this award, you can find the information on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you will do fine!
    You you are strong!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still here after a leave of absence. Glad to see you are revving up for a healthy summer! I am WITH YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very ambitious goals! I hope you succeed in all of them so I can make you my star role model for the summer. I'm only participating in Tami's challenge (this is my first attempt at a challenge) and my goal for the week was to track my sitting time and then decrease it. However, after I tracked it for the first couple of days, I realized I was sitting far less than I thought I was, so I need to adjust that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking forward to seeing us make strides this summer in our assorted challenges. Glad to have you in the SlimmerThisSummer one.

    Happy challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in the Slimmer for Summer challenge- looking forward to sharing encouragement and support with everyone! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi this is Nicole from Colie's Kitchen I found your blog through the Summer Slim Down Challenge! I hope you are having a successful day. I am your newest follower and I am looking forward to watching your dieting success. Stop by anytime! nicole @ www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa!

    That's a lot of Challenges! I'm sure you will succeed though.

    Can't wait to have you along for the ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really need to exercise more but I can't do 7 days a week, that's just setting myself up for failure! Good luck with your goals, it will be fun to follower every one each month. Great motivation for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great! I am glad to see you posting about your goals and challenges. i don't have all mine mapped out - I am starting with 1800-2000 calories a day and exercising 3-5 times a week for an hour. I am trying to resume my gluten free diet and track the calories. I think this is a good start - about all I can handle right now!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with your goals. :) They are very do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad we're in a couple of these challenges together. Those are some great goals! I look forward to catching up here and cheering you on. It's going to be a great summer!

    ReplyDelete