Tuesday, June 7, 2011

New wheels

Greetings on a Fine Summer Day!
I am excited to share with you my big NEWS!!
I have a new bike!!!
Meet Mildred, which means gentle strength:
I will call her Millie.

After a lot of thought and comparison-shopping, I finally purchased my first road bike (!!). It is a 2011 Trek SLX. Truth be told, it is a little more bike than I think I need right now, but, I am an aspiring cyclist and wanted to invest in something that I would not outgrow too soon. She is a dandy!! Incredibly light compared to the bike I had been riding. She weighs in at about 8 kilos or less than 18 pounds.

This bike is designed for a women’s body from the ground up. The Trek website describes some of the features of this bike like this: It boasts Trek's light, nimble and efficient Alpha Black Series aluminum frame so you sail over climbs and carve the corners with confidence. Complementing the dreamy ride is a vibration-damping Bontrager carbon fork for pinpoint steering precision and a fine set of Bontrager SSR aero wheels. And, this thoroughbred sports choice components including a Shimano 30-speed drivetrain for easy climbing and Shimano dual-pivot brakes for total control on the way back down. (http://trekdg.com/product/11-trek-lexa-slx-triple-73113-1.htm). She was not cheap, but then again, neither is my health or better health. I see her as an investment in me and my healthy future.

I am taking my time getting to know her and feel her gentle strength. Here I am on my first solo ride (notice, Karen, my biking shorts!). See how small she is-a great fit for a shorter person like me!
We even went out to the Minnehaha Falls for a spin!
I have never been on a bike like this before. Thus for the first couple of weeks I plan to just get acquainted with how she runs. The position of my body on this bike of course is way different than my other bike. My arms are sore, but not bad. My back is fine. She responds so quickly that I have to be careful not to over correct. I have so far been out on her three times for a total of 41 miles. I am impressed by how fast she goes. I am averaging about 14 miles an hour, without much effort, vs my hybrid where I did 10 MPH. I have not taken her up or down any hills yet because I want to have complete confidence in my ability to control her. Here is a picture of my other bike (Myrtle).
I will keep Myrtle. She is a great bike for hooking up the Burley trailer to transport some grand babies. Besides she paved the way for me to become enamored with cycling. I think I mentioned in another post that I joined the Twin Cities Bike Club (TCBC). Once I get more confident on riding her I will go out with this group on a few rides. I also am going to take their basic bicycle mechanics course. I admit, I am not sure I could even change a bike tire-and I know a flat is in my future!

What about you? Have you been eyeing a pie of fitness equipment or gear now that you are on your own way to being healthier and fit?

Before I leave you, I wanted to share some oriental poppies that are blooming in Southern Minnesota. Have a great day. Stay strong in your journey and TTFN, Michele

20 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE MILDRID!! She is BEEEAUTIFUL! :) I am glad you will still cherish Myrtle. Enjoy that bike, wow. It is a great investment when it's something you love and generates positive health and spirit. I still like my old bike, but I know I will want to get a cruiser, too, someday. I have a kayak I bought a couple years ago. Now that summer feels officially here, I will sign up for some meetups to get it in the water! :) Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bike envy! Does it have shock absorbers for the seat? I had a bike on vacation with those and loved it. My bike is almost 20 years old; I have no idea where I'd start if I decided to get a new one but my husband has suggested it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very awesome! I'm hoping to be able to get some biking in very soon! I just baught myself my first bike since I was like 12 {it's just a cheap Wal-mart brand}, but the weather's been so bad, we haven't been able to ride. Even got a seat for Baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a bike fit for a queeen!!! Such a great choice for you. And by the way my beauty queen, you are looking fabulous!! You are doing so wonderfully. I am so proud of you Michele.
    Take care my friend and have a blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at that! Millie is a looker for sure! I suspect you will get some great use out of her in the near and distant future! I love your pics of the land up that way. it is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you name your bikes! How cute!

    We're going to Minnehaha Falls on Friday I think, I just love hiking around there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Groovy bike! Have lots of fun with her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new bike. I'm sure you'll do many miles together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bike's a real beaut, and a real signal of your commitment. Congratulations. You've seen my Trek - a basic hybrid, though I love it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love poppies! Thanks for sharing your ride.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a gorgeous bike! you make a lovely pair! good on you! my new bike hasn't had much of a run lately as it's been raining endlessly, and now winter is settling in... it's so cold. i'm trying to motivate myself with indoor exercise. wii zumba, zumba classes, pilates. enjoy that warm weather with millie, ok? xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like how you put the challenge members on your sidebar- I might have to figure that out and do it too!

    I love your new bike! I'm not buying any equipment but I did add running to my daily walks--hope to be running one mile by end of the challenge.

    Those poppies are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The poppies are beautiful! But so is Millie and who is that hot woman standing next to that cool bike? Just messing with you - congrats on your new purchase! You look great and it sounds like you are really making the moments count! Thanks for keeping up with me! Your support is priceless. Gonna check out Dr. Fit thanks for the suggestion! Now go - Ride like the wind! Make us all proud!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Millie is awesome. Seeing your picks makes me want to hop a plane to ride with you to the falls! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like it has that new bike "smell", just like a car. So awesome to have something new that is going to help you enjoy the weather and the new fit you!!!

    Staying MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey I love Millie and maybe someday we can get Merlin and Millie together. I love riding my bike. I also like the shorts..

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are wise to give yourself awhile to get used to how the new bike handles. It's not like "riding a bicycle", is it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhhhh, nice!!! I guess I have to name my new bike too - nothing fancy (the bike) like yours, but I'm also excited to be biking again!!! I haven't introduced mine on my blog (although I did give a sneak peak around Mother's Day - it was for Mother's Day). ENJOY!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Millie!! She's a beauty. Thanks for posting so many pictures -- I need to do more photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Second try -- don't know where my first comment went. Love Millie -- She's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete