Thursday, May 19, 2011

Final prep for the Tour

Greetings on a Fine Minnesota Spring Day!
Yesterday I finished my training for the Tour de Cure by cycling 28 miles to the St. Paul campus of the U of MN and back. For a meeting, no less. I would like to report it was a great ride, but that would be a lie. But, it was great preparation for the Tour. My chain fell off. No big deal, I fixed it and road away (greasy hands and all). What I really realized was that although I have steadily increased my mileage and my stamina, I am still an aspiring cyclist. You see there were many hills and inclines on that road, not so different from what I will face in Rochester, MN on Saturday. I huffed and puffed up those hills, but I made it all the way. The scenery was terrific, but hilly in areas. Yesterday I rode over the Ford Bridge to St. Paul and meandered along the Mississippi Road on the East River bank. Absolutely splendid biking. I am as ready as I will be for the Tour. Since signing up (late February), I have logged 347 miles on my bike. I know I can do the 27-mile road event even with rain (I trained twice in the rain). So, Tour de Cure here I come!

I had a great week tracking my food, too. I have really made it a habit, carrying along my little jot sheet with me everywhere. 6/8 days were under 1250 calories. The other two were 1400, so not bad at all.

Before I sign off, I want to acknowledge the support and encouragement that so many of you send my way by leaving comments on this blog. This past week I renewed my own efforts, especially in tracking my food, to getting healthier and getting out of this slump. Many of you shared your own experiences or offered suggestions. Thank-you for sharing in this journey with me. Your words are inspirational to me. I will be back on Saturday to report on the event. Have a great weekend everybody! TTFN and stay strong, Michele

14 comments:

  1. You have had a great week, you're burning a lot of calories training for the Tour de Cure. Reading about your bike rides makes me wish I had a real bike instead of an exercise bike. You've made fantastic progress with the food logging and calorie counting. The weight will start melting off at the rate you are going. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow to me 28 miles is like climbing a mountain. you so inspire me, I am wishing you all the best on Saturday. I love how you say you know you can do the 27 mile road event. Can't wait to hear about it. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes on the Tour de Cure! Your route along the Mississippi sounds *lovely*! Congrats on having a great week logging foods. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great!
    Your words are an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I'm not sure I could do any bike repair. Which is why I never ride without my handy husband:) Hope you have a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, have a wonderful time on your Tour! You've worked hard to prepare for it, and I know it will be a lot of fun for you. And you're doing great with your food too -- you are indeed my inspiration for the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to get the ride report. I am so excited for you that the day is almost here. You will do great and my advice is to enjoy every minute. Pay no attention to what everyone else is doing or who might seem faster and stronger. This is YOUR race, your goal and your accomplishment. It's a journey, not a destination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DEALBREAKER is right! Heehee! Thank you for the comment. And I can't wait to hear more about your tour journey!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! You're gonna rock this thing. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck tomorrow Michele. I know that you will do this and that you will do it with grace and determination. You have worked so hard towards this. I can't wait for the details tomorrow. My race is so little compared to yours but I'll give mine my all too. Thank you for your kind words. I can do this, we can do this, I KNOW WE CAN!!!
    Take care and just be safe tomorrow and enjoy. May God Bless you and keep you safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you can do the 28 to the meeting, then you can do the 27 on Saturday!! So glad you are doing something you are enjoying ! Looking forward to the report of the Tour!

    Staying MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michele, this is great stuff. Good luck!!! You'll do great. And you ARE a cyclist!

    Condolences on HK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Luck Michele!!! Have a GREAT ride!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to hear how the bike tour went!! You can sooooo do it!!!!

    I gave you an award today - check it out!!

    Keep focused!!

    ReplyDelete