Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hello!

Hello Bloggers and Readers!
I would like to thank-you all for your kind words throughout the last three weeks after we lost our farmhouse to fire. Despite our loss, I feel we were very fortunate and actually are quite privileged. My ruminations have been all over the place. I always come back to the fact that we, our lives, were not lost, just our memorabilia, material goods and playthings. At this point, it is still too early to make a decision about whether we will rebuild, sell, or what. But, we are talking about it, and with our adult children, too.

For about the last week I have been traveling to two conferences related to the professional work I engage in. Both are research-oriented conferences, the first in Orlando, Fl and the second in New Orleans. I presented one paper last week; tomorrow I present the other. These are intellectually stimulating conferences for me and help me to keep the recent events in perspective. I think you all know that I am a professional educator, an academic. These are challenging times to be a teacher or in my case a teacher educator/researcher. Our profession is under assault as many of you know. Teaching is a complex endeavor. The sessions I have attended, the research that I have listened to and the conversations that I have had, help me to know that there is much to be hopeful for, but, much that saddens my heart.

This is of course a weight loss blog, so you are probably wondering how I am doing on my journey. "Okay" is what I have to say. Not bad. I have not weighed in for a while but I can feel that I have not lost any weight. I have kept up my exercise fairly well these past few weeks, but that is not enough for me. I know I need to find my mojo again and the discipline that I had for so long. I will. You know I will.

Thanks again to all of you for sending well wishes and inquiries about how I was doing during my absence. I look forward to catching up with you all in the next days and week. Stay strong everyone, Michele

12 comments:

  1. Where have I been!! I am so sorry I didn't know about the fire. Everyone is ok?? Sending you positive thoughts and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kind words - stay strong!
    Glad all is reasonably well for you -
    "OK" is much better than "bad!"
    Stay strong, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to get an update, Michele. Weight loss is just part of the journey in life. The state of education, as well as many other things, is really at a cross-roads, isn't it? Sad for sure to see how little value this country seems to place on education anymore. I'm sorry for the kids more than anything. Is there anything, in your opinion, that "we, the people" can do to change the direction of education right now? I'm glad your conferences went well and look forward to hearing more from you. I have no doubt you'll be back on track with your weight loss again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, glad to hear from you again. That must be difficult to deal with, but you seem to have it in perspective. Glad to hear you are exercising. Remember that your health cannot be rebuilt like a burned down structure, so don't get too far from your eating progress and scale. Best to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you posted. With all you have happening, weight loss is not top on the list. Just take care of yourself and do what you need to do. Take care my friend. At least spring is here, that might help some. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, I am so thankful to hear from you again. Thank you for your post. I felt that we'd hear when you were ready, but knew you must be overwhelmed with details regarding the fire and other things. I have remembered you and your family in my prayers so many times. I'm glad to hear things are going well. As difficult as these things are, they do vividly remind us that life is about much more than our material possessions. Welcome back! I have missed you. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michele!!!! So glad you are back! All the best to you as you heal from this horrific event!! I quote you on this "Stay Strong!!" Sending good wishes your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are back my friend. I have missed you! Hope everything is going well with the house! Take care of yourself!! Stay focused!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michele... I just got caught up on your blog here and I am so sorry about you losing your house! I can't even imagine how hard that must be. Please know that you are in my prayers!!

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to hear from you! I'm glad that you are doing well, in spite of everything that has happened. Your attitude is so positive, Michele. The weight will come. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending you well wishes and hugs! I understand your feelings about the teaching profession since I'm one. It just seems everyone has ganged up on the education field.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is good to hear from you. Sending up prayers for you and your family. I know that you will get back your "mojo". Give yourself time, you are grieving whether you realize it or not. Take care.

    ReplyDelete