Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday Greetings!

Greetings on a Fine Monday Morning!
It is a cloudy day in Minnesota, but mild temperatures (about 50 today). Sunday afternoon, hubby and I went back to the farm after about a 3 weeks absence because of all conference travel. It was good to get back. Time is helping us to process our loss and move forward. Remember how some of my themes for the New Year are downsizing and organization?? Well, nothing like a fire to assist you in those efforts! We began in earnest the process of emptying out the house of the rest of the contents. All items need to be cataloged as best as we can for our insurance claim. I am taking pictures of everything with my iPhone and will input later into a spreadsheet. We filled about half of the dumpster with smaller pieces of furniture and about 30 large construction type bags full of our books, CDS/DVDS, my research files and books (!?!?!), toys, kitchen and other stuff. Here are a few pictures:

The one above is actually of the inside of one of our pantry cupboards. You can see the soot outline of the items that were on the shelf, plus the drizzle of water spray down the back

Good bye to Woody...
Hubby in the dumpster...
This one reminds me that despite what happens in life the grass is greener
and the promise of spring is in the air!
It really was not as bad or as emotional as I thought it might be. We were both matter of fact. We wore gloves and masks the whole time. Kind of weird when you are using a port-a-potty on your own property!! We are still researching all the possible “what will we do” including nothing, rebuilding or selling. I will keep you up to speed.

I finally kicked the bad case of bronchitis-like illness I carried around for the last 10 days. I still have a residual cough, but feel great. Today I will head out for a long walk and hopefully a short bike ride. Eating was really on target this weekend. I am hoping to get to a new all time low before the Tour de Cure.

Hope you all had a good weekend. Stay strong and TTFN, Michele

13 comments:

  1. Wow Michele! I had no idea - that must have been such a tough thing to go through. A family from our church had this happen to them just before Christmas. They are in the process now of rebuilding.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those pictures are really telling... especially that last one. Sounds like you have such great priorities on what really matters and not let yourself sink into a depressive state (like I would probably do!). Life is too precious to worry about the small stuff, right? So glad your illness is diminished and that you are enjoying some exercise! I love your positive outlook!

    Take care!
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to have you back. I'm also glad that you can approach this with a rather matter-of-fact attitude. That attests to how strong you are as a person. Glad you're feeling better. I had that "crud" too, and it's been about a month--almost well now! Take good care of yourself, Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember if you mentioned this, but was there a determination as to what started the fire? I so admire your courage. I know we find the strength to do the things we have to do, but this has to be hard. Glad you are on sabbatical - at least you aren't having to cope with end of school year issues at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I glad you took some time to get away from it! Looks like your both handling it well now. "hugs"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a task. And once again, your attitude is something to be admired. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the picture of the window and the greener grass on the other side choked me up. You are doing really well with all of this!!

    So glad you are feeling better and way to go on getting on that bike! SO awesome!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound pretty level headed about all that's happened. Good luck in figuring things out, glad the bronchitis has cleared, I still have a cough from weeks ago. blah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see that last photo in a photo contest -- it says so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are getting better from your sickness, that you were able to get to the farmhouse and do some cleaning, but you do sound strong and determined to move forward no matter what!! Sending good thoughts your way!!!

    Staying MOtivated

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're taking things in stride - that's good. Like the picture of the green grass through the structure. Reminds me of the Mt. St. Helens videos of how nature always regenerates when we think we're at an "end".

    P.S. Awesome pic of Gustavo Dudamel in my latest post. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are strong Michele. I am not sure how I would handle something like that.
    Remember, need me? Just holler and I'll see what I can do for you.
    Take care Michele. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Michele, those pictures convey so much. I can't begin to imagine what you and your husband are going through. I'll be praying for you as you continue to work through this and look toward the future. I'm glad that you are feeling better.

    I hope that you & your family have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete