Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Inspirational read

If I am so fortunate to live to a ripe old age, I hope I have the physical stamina of JoAnn Krause. JoAnn did not start jogging until she retired when she was 70 and decided it was time to start to “push herself” “Once I turned 70 I retired and decided to start pushing myself. I started jogging -- up to 14 miles, and now in winter I cross-country ski three or four hours a day. I don't get tired. I can go all day cross-country skiing, and then I'm game to go out and dance at night.” You won’t find JoAnn in a gym either. “I don't need health clubs, personal trainers or any equipment. I call my health program "green." I don't have to drive to exercise; I just leave from my back door. If I have errands to do, if they are within 6 miles, I walk. Us "youngsters" might want to reconsider how we push ourselves!!

I am off to another conference. This one will be fun-no paper or any presentation, just going to learn! San Francisco here I come!! I am looking forward to hiking those hills and "pushing myself!" Stay strong and TTFN, Michele

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Michele. I hope to be so "young" at 70, too. Right now, I feel like I'm 70 but that's changing each day. It's fun to be sharing our journeys here in the blogosphere. Enjoy your conference in San Fran and safe travel.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just goes to show that an old dog can teach herself new tricks:) So guess what my first thought were when you said San Fran? Sour Dough bread and Ghiradelli Chocolate. Sorry:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a blast in California. You were just out my back door last week. Well close anyways. Isn't it amazing doing the things we haven't done in a long time. I love my walks/runs and exercising. I love taking the kids out and sledding. Carrying Hannah up the hill, riding down on a sled my butt barely fit on last year. It is wonderful and I'm loving it. I want to be like my grandma. 94 and works in a garden. Helps feed the goats, daily feeds a family of 5. That's what I want, to be able to do all of that.
    Take care Michele and do have a great time. Enjoy the warmth and sunshine. Soon we'll be having it too.
    God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I'm as spunky at 70 as JoAnn is! Have a great trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool. If it's within 6 miles - just walk. I like that!!

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, 70 years old. What a woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool is that? I think she is pretty amazing! Great post - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,
    I am going to a conference in SF too. NSTA?
    I have been setting my own expectations too low. Thanks for the kick in the butt. Really I do mean thanks! Never too old to be healthy and active! I guess I better start jogging or walking everywhere
    YOU CAN DO IT!
    STAY STRONG!
    NEVER GIVE UP!
    Always,
    Mer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an inspiring & amazing woman! Have fun at your conference & enjoy some warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a great story. Enjoy SF - hope you get to do something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michele, the link to JoAnn Krause is not working for me. Would you please email it to me at:
    cookiesaregone@gmail.com

    I saw her on a news clip a week or so ago, and have been trying to find out more about her. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete