Friday, March 4, 2011

Happy Friday and Weekly Summary

This week I made good on one of my (unpublished) goals to make some new recipes. I made couscous for the first time! I followed the recipe on the back of the package so it was easy. When it was done I added in sliced zucchini and tomatoes, a little garlic, olives and some cumin. Voila: Couscous salad. I also made a zesty yogurt sauce that topped off hummus with Joseph's pita bread. I forgot to take pictures. BTW: If you do not know about Gina's Skinny recipes, you should. She posts daily with healthy and yummy recipes just made for folks like us on our fitness quest.

March is a finicky month in Minnesota. At the beginning of the month we are more like winter and at the end of the month being more spring like. This means throughout the month we have snow melts and icy sidewalks and roadways, making walking tenuous at best. I did not get as much walking in this week as I did last week: 21 miles; I am happy to report no slips or spills for me on my walks (hope this continues!). I took my bike out once and had a five-mile bike ride.

A couple of noteworthy reads to share with you. The first one hits home with me, although I am not diabetic, I am at high risk. Diabetes: New research published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine points out that folks with diabetes over age 50 are trimming their life spans by 6 years. They found that those with diabetes had double the risk of dying from a heart attack or stroke, compared to those without the disorder. "But they also found that diabetics had a 25 percent higher risk of dying from cancer and were more likely to die from a variety of illnesses including infections, lung and kidney disease as well as falls. Exactly how diabetes raises those risks isn't clear, but in the case of infections, it could be that diabetes weakens the immune system, the researchers said. Diabetes can cause vision problems and loss of feeling in the legs, which may be the reason for falls, they said. Danesh and his colleagues also estimated diabetes' effect on life expectancy. They calculated that a 50-year-old diabetic without heart disease dies about six years earlier than someone without the disease, with 40 percent of the difference due to cancer and conditions other than heart disease.”

Fit at Fifty at Beyond: Okay, I am in that club and proud of it (!!).A good read about tips for staying healthy and fit over fifty.

One more thing: if you are looking for another good blog about getting healthy and fit, but a host of other important life fitness aspirations, take a look at Leslie's.

Have a great weekend! Stay strong! Michele

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to be 50 this year so time for a healthy change. I love Couscous. Did you like it? I do read Gina's blog and I second your recommendation. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. March is strange here too. I'm looking forward to spring coming and staying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love new recipes _ I will check her out! Thanks and congrats on achieving a goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are trying new foods and making them tasty!
    Thanks for the info on diabetes. Type 2 runs in my family and I expect to get it. It is just something that I have watched my older relatives get and they are not overweight.
    Keep staying strong!
    YOU CAN DO IT!
    NEVER GIVE UP!
    Always,
    Mer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on reaching your goal. And thanks for the great info. What did you think of the couscous?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snowstorm next week, melting today, -20 on Wednesday, yep, that Minnesota. Aren't we glad we live here? Well mostly anyways.
    Hope you have a great weekend. I worked today so my weekends a bit short.
    Take care Michele and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still feels like winter here. Not too cold, just foggy and rainy. Can't wait for spring!

    Thanks for your great post. So appreciate you!!

    Keep up the great work my friend. You are AWESOME!!

    Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, just catching up. I understand about the doldrums, but I know you and can see you are already bouncing back. Tour de Cure -- cool! You're inspiring, Michele.

    ReplyDelete