Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cycling

Greetings Everyone!
March is here and that means spring is around the corner, even for those of us in the still Frozen North! On Tuesday we had highs in the upper 30’s, plus the streets were relatively free of ice, so I took out my bike. Was able to get in another 5-mile bike ride!!
Many of you know Alan’s blog and know that he is prepping for the Big Climb and raising money for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society with each step. Well, Alan, you have inspired me, too! I am going to participate in the Tour de Cure. This is a series of cycling fundraising events that raise money for the American Diabetes Association (ADA). The ADA's mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. A number of my family members have diabetes, both Type 1 and Type 2. My obesity puts me at a high risk, too, for diabetes, making this a great organization for me to support. Second, the day of the race, May 21, is the day before my birthday. I don't think there is a better way to celebrate my birthday and my achievements toward better health than a 31 mile road trip on my bike!! This will be my first challenge of this nature that is dual purposed: support of a cause and physically challenging. You can learn more about the Tour and my goals by visiting my Tour website. I would, of course, welcome your support, but, you might consider doing this yourself. This Tour will occur in 43 states. I am betting there is one close to you!! Getting fit and generating support for a worthy cause. Can't beat that! Stay strong everyone and TTFN! Michele

11 comments:

  1. Way to go Michele. May is a great month for birthdays! Sounds like a great challenge for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you go Michele!! I know you love you some cycling and that is a great cause. I have always had a soft spot for diabetes charities as that disease has riddled both sides of my family. I think you will do great! I just signed up for my very first 5k on Monday and am excited about getting out and running competitively and also contributing to the Toys for Tots program! Look at us go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to celebrate your bday! I am waiting for warmer temps to hit my bike. Brr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Michele :) You'll be having fun, staying fit and helping a good cause!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great is that, Michele. These are the inspiring things that make healthy living worthwhile. My hubby and I are buying bikes this year and I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I'm so proud of you for signing up for this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! Well done for taking this on..looking forward to seeing you succeed!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Michele. 31 miles! I love your spirit and go-for-it attitude. This almost makes me wish I owned a bike! You will feel so great physically and every other way and have much to celebrate on your birthday after supporting this great cause and completing 31 miles. You rock, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michele, this is great! I look forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Michele, this answered the last of my question I just asked you. You go girl, you can do this...I KNOW YOU CAN. And yes I will sign up for our bike tour in September and also just recieved and e-mail from Fit City and they have a 5K May 21st and some other really cool classes and activities. So see me go, see you go. This is "our" year!!
    Take Michele. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete