Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Words on Wednesday!

Michael Pollan is a name we hear frequently coupled with food. Many of you may know him from his book Omnivore’s Dilemma. He was featured in Food.inc as well as other documentaries. I recently picked up his slim volume: Food Rules An Eater’s Manual. If you have not read Pollan, this may be an excellent little read. Quick. Descriptive, but, not too much. Tongue-in-check but straight forward. His website calls it: "his indispensable handbook lays out a set of straightforward, memorable rules for eating wisely, one per page accompanied by a concise explanation." I agree. It is a manual for eaters, including all of us looking to become better fit and lighter in weight. There are three sections of this book: Part I: What should I eat? Part II: What kind of food should I eat? and Part III: How should I eat? Here are some of his rules that caught my eye and are great Words for Wednesday. Enjoy!

What should I eat?
Eat food.
Don’t eat anything your grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.
Avoid food products that contain more than five ingredients.
Avoid food products containing food ingredients that a
third grader cannot pronounce.
Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle.
Eat only foods that will eventually rot.
It’s not food if it arrived through your car window.

What kind of food should I eat?

Eat mostly plants, especially the leaves.
Eat your colors.
Eat like an omnivore.
Eat sweet foods as you find them in nature.
Don’t eat breakfast foods that changes the color of the milk.
The whiter the bread the sooner you’ll be dead.
Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.

How Should I Eat?

Pay more, eat less.
Eat less.
Stop eating before you are full.
Eat slowly.
The banquet is in the first bite.
Do all your eating at the table.
Cook.

All quotes above from: Pollan, M. (2009). Food Rules An Eater's Manual. New York: Penguin.

10 comments:

  1. Wise rules, Michele -- for the most part, it is exactly how I prepare food and eat. Except for "Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself." I used to cook most of my own junk food, and I got very fat. Now I try to follow the "no empty calories" rule for anything that goes into my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good read. Funny how its just the basics that will keep us jealthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this book mentioned in a magazine article and wondered about it. I did read Omnivore's Dilemma. Interesting in parts but a bit dry and long, IMO. Sounds like this is the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pollan's tremendous. I read In Defense of Food and it's about as helpful a book as I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Michele. Sounds like "rules to live by," because if you follow them, it is likely you will live longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice summary and very helpful. Do you think a third-grader can pronounce Tiramisu? Probably not... Eating healthy really isn't so hard - in theory - just in practice for me. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I have the same taste. I love Michael Pollan and I think everyone should owh the book Food Rules. A lot of it is Common Sense, but unfortunately we've (me) lost our Common Sense along the way, being overworked and so, so busy with our lives. Great post, Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice summary Michele, thanks!!! Could you summarize the Omnivore's Dilemma as briefly and concisely!? (A friend of mine loaned it to me not long ago, and I'm just not getting into it.) Have a great Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thinking, good ideas. Hard at times to pratice but working at that.
    Thanks for sharing Michele.
    Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list of rules, thanks for breaking it down for us! :)

    ReplyDelete