Friday, February 11, 2011

Oranges and Happy Friday!

Do you like oranges? Thought so. I sure do, too. Especially now when it is citrus season in Florida and California. How about this lovely orange that I will be eating soon?
This past week I enjoyed the most delicious oranges that I purchased at the lovely supermarket near my home. Ambrosial goodness and with only about 90 calories per orange make them a great caloric value, not to mention all the wonderful vitamin C and other nutrients bound up in every savory bite.

Because these oranges are so incredibly delicious, I am trying to be mindful of the pleasure of eating one. But there are other reasons to be mindful when enjoying fresh fruit in this northern tundra: As I ate my orange yesterday, I thought about the number of miles it was transported to finally reach my mouth. If it was produced in California, it traveled about 2200 miles; if it was produced in Florida about 1400. Lots of fuel. Plus I wondered who picked this fruit from the tree? Or was it picked with some kind of a machine? How many people actually handled this extraordinary piece of fruit before it reached me. While there are undoubtedly plenty of things to talk about around the subject of local food, food production, and food miles (link to my favorite nutritionist for her thoughts on food miles that); those topics are not something I will ruminate on today. Instead: enjoy your fruits and veggies. Chew them slowly. Be present with them. Eat them without distraction. More then likely they have come a LONG way and been touched by many to get to your table.

It has been a successful week for me! I exercised almost everyday. I walked about 10 miles and last night went out ice-skating! Each day I have tried to come in under 1200 calories. Have a great weekend my friends, stay strong and TTFN,
Michele

11 comments:

  1. I've been eating clementines a lot lately. So that calorie thing... I've got an upcoming post about it, sort of. Since I have been tracking I have noticed the number and it is darn hard to only eat 1200!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous looking orange. Wonderful post, Michele. We have purchased a load of oranges from Costco and I must admit I haven't been paying that much attention to the taste and sensation. I'm going to do that now. I bet I will enjoy them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele, oranges are yummy! Way to rock it this week. Keep it going

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oranges, I hate peeling them. I have finally grown up enough now to just peel the darn thing to enjoy it. I love your profile pictures. You are doing so awesomely. Keep it up Michele.
    Take care and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you're sticking with the skating and getting over your phobia. Maybe you'll embrace brass instruments someday, too. I am an optimist! Hey, did I tell you I'm on a panel on Thursday with Pinchas Zuckerman on arts advocacy??? For reals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've had a great week. Way to go!!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing a wonderful job, and looking great!
    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been eating Honeybells (a cross between a tangerine(?) and a grapefruit) so juicy and sweet! I love when good oranges and the like start to show up in the late winter/early spring. I reminds me that soon other fruits will be in season as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing so awesome my friend!! I love oranges too. Unfortunately they have not been too great. You would think, living in Oregon, so close to the orange growers, we would have good ones. Oh well. I will keep trying!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmMMMMmmmm!!! I don't ever remember loving oranges as much as I do this year. We must be on the same orang-ey kick. Love your share on mindfulness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought a box of very sweet Clementines at Trader Joe's last week and have been happily enjoying two/daily. The best orange I ever ate was one grown in Israel -- very pricey -- so delicious that I nearly wept. Have never been able to find them since (that was several years ago).

    ReplyDelete